Resonant tracking - some days I get it, some days I can't

Rate this topic

steve95

I bought the Four Pillars 2.0 program a few days ago, and from the first day I learned quite a lot about singing! After meddling with the videos a bit, I also felt what I thought was proper resonant placing.

So for the last few days, I've been messing around with that "resonant tracking" voice, sounding a lunatic everywhere I go, and I've had success in finding my placement. But today I had lots of trouble with the resonant tracking exercise. I could not find that good feeling like I had in the days before and as I tried to get lighter, I could only make choking sounds and little sound was actually made.

I find that my speaking voice works completely against the top-down phonation and that may be the reason for the struggle I had today because I was out with my friends talking a lot.

If speaking voice is an issue here, what is a solution for me? It's kind of impossible not to talk, and I could never find myself to change my speaking habits to work more in favor towards the singing voice.

Or am I just simply tired? Should I try again tomorrow?

• Administrator

Steve

You should not be making any croaking or choking sounds when you do resonant tracking, if you are, something is not right. Without hearing what your doing, its nearly impossible for us to help you... but chances are, your grinding. Your driving the resonant tracking way too hard... most beginners to.. they grind and grind and lean into it and that is not what resonant tracking is nor is it what I demonstrate in "The Four Pillars of Singing". But again, its just conjecture, because I can't hear what your doing.

Resonant tracking rehabilitates the voice and if you do it properly and often, it will benefit your speaking voice and make it more of a 'top-down' phonation. You said you could never get your speaking voice into a 'top-down' posture? I don't believe that and you had better, because your speaking voice can grind your ability to sing away like sand paper.. if you don't use your speaking voice properly, apart from the fact that many vocal health problems stem from bad speaking habits, not bad singing habits... but that doesn't sound like your problem.

Resonant tracking needs to be light and floaty, gentle.... very easy... it is a bit clunky at first to bridge with it, but you need to work on it. It won't take long.. just make sure that you lift up / pull back early , especially when you are tracking and you'll find your bridges to the head voice beginning to move smoothly.

Do you have any internet lessons booked with me? If not, I highly recommend that you do so we can make sure your doing your foundation building routine properly.

I hope this helps.

• Administrator

BTW... Maestro Kyle used to say, "the voice never feels twice the same"... there is some truth to that... Don't get worried if you have an 'off' day... its perfectly normal. And you have to be patient... you are rebuilding a system made for primitive speech into a high performance phonation... it takes muscle strengthening and coordination to build your singing voice... people seem to be impatient with the training process... it doesn't happen immediately for most people, you have to train... stick with it for a good 90 days... your building muscle tissue...

Steve

Resonant tracking needs to be light and floaty, gentle.... very easy... it is a bit clunky at first to bridge with it, but you need to work on it. It won't take long.. just make sure that you lift up / pull back early , especially when you are tracking and you'll find your bridges to the head voice beginning to move smoothly.

I'd just like to say this is a very important point... light, floaty, gentle, and connected phonations often lead to the greatest progression! It feels a bit clunky at first because at first we try and force the bridge, but as soon as you start taking it slow... lift up / pull back early... all of a sudden its almost unbelievable EASY to bridge and connect. Look at the thread on the mental approach to singing, have that gentle/very easy mindset throughout your "lift up/pullback. Even when there is a clunk at first, just take a step back, breath in slowly, think lift up/ pull back it's easy... keep at it... soon you'll be thinking... what passaggio? :lol:

Thanks for that advice Mr.Lunte, I just started working on resonant tracking so this is gold.

- JayMC

BTW... Maestro Kyle used to say, "the voice never feels twice the same

So true. Even though some things seem more seamless to me, my voice still feels new to me, each day. And yes, there are off days. Since I am not on a 30 city tour, I go ahead a take a day off, when necessary.

Then, again, I don't have any tours in the near future, either.

:o

I really do need to book lessons with you Robert, but the place I practice does not have a good enough internet connection for me to start Skype lessons. The places I practice are very limited because my parents are so against me singing. I bought the Four Pillars program without my parents approval and they still don't know of it yet. If they knew, they would rip my head off :P Therefore, it's really hard for me to practice at home, and the only place available are school practice rooms, where internet connection is very low. I'll contact you if I have any success!

By lifting up and pulling back, does it mean think in your head voice and pull back the air? I'm not really firm on what that should feel like...

By lifting up and pulling back, does it mean think in your head voice and pull back the air? I'm not really firm on what that should feel like...

Something close to that. Robert can explain it better because he wrote the book and he is a great teacher. But, from my thinking (my thinking and $1.70 USD will get you a Diet Coke) lift up and pull back is this:

lift up - hold back the air

pull back - get the note behind the soft palate.

It seems counterintuitive to some but you get more volume from properly placing the resonance, rather than how much air you push, though you do need some air pressure, just not enough to lift a Volkwagen.

BAM! Lift up pull back explained in 11 words. Though ultimately we need to add lighten the mass. And actually I just realize you flipped it. Switch the words around and then it's right. Lift up pertains to the soft palate, pull back pertains to the air.

bridge early, lighten the mass, hold back the air, lift the soft palate = lift up pull back, complete summary.

Actually, you are right, Owen. But thanks for the kudos, anyway. And I still use it when I am right smack-dab in a passage that is right in the passaggio. And I don't lose volume, mainly by not concentrating on volume but concentrating, instead, on resoance and breath management. Lift up - Pull Back is just a nifty mnemonic to remind us of that.