Distortion Singing into the 5th Octave! - TVS Student & Teacher

Rate this topic

Thanks again GAB :)

Do you ever feel that, after training your CLEAN high notes for some time and then want to start to train distortion, that you've accidentally been using a type of setup in your throat that makes distortion very tough?

For example, let's say that you've been singing a lot of high notes for 15-30 minutes but your vowels were perhaps slightly TOO open and you were slightly breathy without realizing it. Now you want to do distortion on those high notes but find that for some inexplainable reason it's much more difficult than, say, yesterday, because now you've been using a type of throat setup that's not good for adding distortion on top of.

OR - does that never happen to you? Perhaps you feel that if you've spent many many minutes on CLEAN high notes and are very, very warmed up with them, then all of a sudden adding distortion onto them isn't that tough?

• Administrator

Jonpall, its one of 6 new classifications of specialized onsets I've developed to trouble-shoot head voice problems and build strength and coordination. Im developing an educational blog soon on it and will share it with the community here.

Here is the video, this is a bit of a sneak preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE5qKzPMprk

Today I added Gab's ideas to the benefits column of an matrix I have created for these onsets, in our book at TVS. It resides under the list of benefits for the "wind & release" onset.

hope this helps...

Ya, this is good Gab. I was thinking on my bike this morning,

Just had to bring up the bike, eh? Especially as I am jealous that I cannot afford one, right now.

But the one I want, I saw, years ago in a salvage yard. '68 Shovelhead, king and queen seat. Coil-over-shock suspension. Shorties out the side. 12" ape hangers. Original gear case. The only thin not OEM on it was a 40 mm Del Orto carb hanging on the side. They only wanted $9k for what is now an antique and that is a steal. But I just didn't have it and still don't.

My first ride was when I was 6, on my uncle's bike. It was a Shovelhead, too.

I need to get me Steppenwolf fix ...

• Administrator

Cool Ron... Im actually going to have my bike painted primer grey with weatherized clear coat. Since i don't have a garage to protect a fancy pants paint job, I'm going for more the 'rat bike' look... and going for a glossy , primer grey with a sun bleached red frame from the previous paint job... i think its going to be bad ass looking , we'll see...

Jonpall, its one of 6 new classifications of specialized onsets I've developed to trouble-shoot head voice problems and build strength and coordination. Im developing an educational blog soon on it and will share it with the community here.

Here is the video, this is a bit of a sneak preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE5qKzPMprk

Today I added Gab's ideas to the benefits column of an matrix I have created for these onsets, in our book at TVS. It resides under the list of benefits for the "wind & release" onset.

hope this helps...

That is cool! One thing I have a hard time grasping is what kind of energy/volume you are doing this at. This is a problem I have with many youtube-singing-videos, especially when amplification is used. Hard to relate to, especially in headvoice. I'm sure you discuss this in the pillars material, just wanted to give the feedback!

• Administrator

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I understand, the amplification could seem to make it sound bigger then it actually is... is that what you mean? If I could be completely honest with you? The amplification really doesn't do anything but amplify and already existing, powerful head voice phonation. If I were to remove the microphone, it actually wouldn't seem much different, maybe a little less reverb or something, but it would sound pretty much the same. I can just as easily do these without amplification and have no problem with that, maybe Ill do a few that way. I just choose not to simply because its just not as fun... I don't like a flat signal, it snuffs all the fun out of singing for me. The only effects on this is just a pinch of reverb, there is no doubling, pitch correction or things you would expect to not be there for a vocal technique demonstration.

Also note, in this video, because I am demonstrating these onsets, I want to sound full and boomy ... if you watch the 'lift up / pull back' video I posted on youtube and here about a week ago, you will see a whole different volume level because Im demonstrating a different concept.

Hope you can become a client one day... I will help you to sing amazing... give it a shot... Gab is a teacher of TVS and is a student of mine, didn't seem to hurt him any...

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I understand, the amplification could seem to make it sound bigger then it actually is... is that what you mean? If I could be completely honest with you? The amplification really doesn't do anything but amplify and already existing, powerful head voice phonation. If I were to remove the microphone, it actually wouldn't seem much different, maybe a little less reverb or something, but it would sound pretty much the same. I can just as easily do these without amplification and have no problem with that, maybe Ill do a few that way. I just choose not to simply because its just not as fun... I don't like a flat signal, it snuffs all the fun out of singing for me. The only effects on this is just a pinch of reverb, there is no doubling, pitch correction or things you would expect to not be there for a vocal technique demonstration.

Also note, in this video, because I am demonstrating these onsets, I want to sound full and boomy ... if you watch the 'lift up / pull back' video I posted on youtube and here about a week ago, you will see a whole different volume level because Im demonstrating a different concept.

Hope you can become a client one day... I will help you to sing amazing... give it a shot... Gab is a teacher of TVS and is a student of mine, didn't seem to hurt him any...

I don't have a problem with amplification in itself, it is just that i cant take two videos and say that someone used more volume/power in video A thanin video B, due to microphone levels, PA etc. Not even with the same singer such as you! I haven't sung much with amplification myself so i am not used to the sound. That said it does make sense to overpower inner hearing a bit so you hear what other people hear. CVT talks a lot about volume for each mode, guess that something I miss in video lessons. Love to take lessons! I'm still working om finding affordable practice space for training/lessons (in gothenburg Sweden, shout if you have one!).