Please listen and critique

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys this is my cover of kiss me by Ed Sheeran in the rawest form of a recording imaginable i used my built in mic and recorded in 1 take on the Sound Cloud recorder so excuse the bad quality LOL

http://soundcloud.com/chrishrt11/me-singing-ed-sheeran

I don't know the song and I am more into hard rock than anything else. But it sounds like you did a good job and the song suits your voice and vice versa.

As for the lack of response, here are some reasons. Some people, like Videohere and myself, we work all day, and I mean, all day. I get up at 4 am so that I can leave the house by 5 am to get to work by 6 am. I rarely get away from the office before 4 pm and sometimes have another business errand or two to run. It's over an hour drive home in the evenings, dpending on traffic. 55 miles from the door of my house to the door of the office, and that is the shortest route. On average, I get home around 5:30 pm. Then, feed the dog, who has not eaten all day (he only eats in my presence, which is his preference.) Then, a bathroom break for me, then a shower. Then, sometimes, I still have business work to do that I can do on line, including email correspondence with colleagues and clients. It might be 7 pm or later before I get to look at the forum. Then, dinner around 8pm, wind down, get to bed so that I can do it all again, the next day. Every day, except for most weekends.

So, some of us only have limited time and just check the greatest hits, so to speak.

Others are simply not into this style of music and would rather not comment, as their comments will come from their own aesthetic. Because their comments may or may not have applicability. A guy way into heavy metal may not want to comment on a pop ballad like this.

Also, this is the critique section. So, sometimes, if there is nothing wrong, there may be no comment. As in, no news is sometimes good news. At least someone wasn't in here, ripping you to shreds.

I once submitted a cover of "Angel in Blue" by the J. Geils Band. Not a single comment, ever. Not "good job," not "you stink" or "for the love of God, please quit making that noise." Not, "use some more rasp here and here." Nothing.

Another time, I put up a cover of "Live Like You Were Dying" and got one comment, from just about the only other person who has admitted an interest in country music. At least it was a favorable review.

That is, some people may simply not be that into what your singing, which is not a reflection on your singing ability. Also, I did not bump the thread with questions of why no one was commenting.

Also, with the number of new posts, it's easy for yours to get moved down. A person comes in and has a chance to hear someone's cover of an Iron Maiden song or yours, which may not be familiar at all. They are going for what they want to hear.

That's the way the cookie crumbles. Learn to like cookie crumbs.

It's the weekend. Friday nights people are out giging or just hanging. If they are out they may check in and even post but most times it's from an smartphone or something and they can't listen or view files. Then Saturday again not many people here. I posted a song last night and got one response. But then again from last night until now the view count hasn't gone up so like I said....peeps are hangin' and partyin!! :D They ain't listening to forum song samples.

hahahaha thank you so much for your replies i was just concerned coz i could see other newer posts getting feedback and just wanted opinions on the quality of my voice u know. but i get where both of you are coming from i have noticed an extreme favour lean toward rock music on this forum so maybe il try a classic rock song next i dunno why i actually chose that song i guess it was my bad lol

next song will be rock not heavy rock tho but rock none the less:)

My take - Pretty much same as Rons. Though, I hear moments where notes are not supported, then I hear other notes that are.l think what is happening is that when you try to sing quietly, you are letting a ton more air through and, thus, making the note unsupported and airy. Try to , instead of allowing yourself to blow air to make quiet notes, use a well supported clean but quiet tone instead. Other things I hear was little things like removing support from a note that you are holding right before you end the note, instead of ending the note first. Download a shareware version of cakewalk. You can use your built in mic. Then, add a compressor to the vocal channel. Make it "pre" by clocking the green lit "post" button twice . That button is on the far left of the track. It will help you high loud notes from clipping. Over all, your voice tone is nice, timing is good, just need some technique work.

www.drop-head.com

from i have noticed an extreme favour lean toward rock music on this forum so maybe il try a classic rock song next i dunno why i actually chose that song i guess it was my bad lol

I hear ya. Don't worry about that. I know it can be frustrating. I am a one time rocker and have a long history with classic rock as well as hard rock and some heavy metal. However I am now just about 56 years old and have progressed through rock, to blues based roc. to blues rock and then straight blues and R&B. I have posted many songs here. Some of which got many responses and some more blues or R&B stuff got nothing. Not even a whisper.

That's the way it goes. There are songs that are posted that people think are done well but still really have nothing to say and other songs that appeal to the majority and people just relate to the song. . Elana House is a fine example. She is a young 13 year old singer who posts here often. She sings in an opera and classical music style and sings beautifully. Yet her posts go by most times without comment. We all know she sings like an angel but I guess people aren't into the type of music so have nothing to say. If it is rockin' then it is like listening to a song on the radio. "hey check this out....cool man!" By the same token I can sing a rock song for a group that isn't into rock and they will be silent. No complaints about the vocals but just not there genre of music. And so it goes.

It's weird and takes some getting used to. I get the feeling a lot of posters are young (20's and 30's) Don't sweat it.

EDIT:

Sorry, I guess you still want a critique :) Ok, This is what I hear. And I stress "I" because this is subjective.

Good voice but just needs work. Training.

You are on pitch. Decent tone.

But! At 1:52 it gets weak and the word "colder" wobbles and fails. As does "wind."

At 1:44 the word "body." Your vowel "o" is pronounced wrong. You say " boaty" with a long "o" sound. That sound should be more "ah" like "bahdy." From 3:12 - 314 it gets louder and it is wobbly and out of control from there. The rest of the song is much of the same. Plus the whole thing is lacking in support and sung in chest voice. I think with training you can do much better as you seem to have the basics to do so, Work at it :)

Guess we just gotta keep up with the status quo. Which is fine i mean iv been on this journey to improving my singing for a year now i started singing properly in front of people last year this time and since that i tried a very popular SLS program and have felt improvements but i still cant get through 'Somebody to Love' by Queen without feeling like my eyes might pop out of my head(which kinda tells you that the whole speech level concept is hard to grasp)

so now here i am still looking for answers still waiting to see what will get me to the place where i can sing like Freddie and yeah just wanted to know if my friends and loved ones were just trying to make me feel better when saying i have a good voice.

I appreciate all these Replies thanx guys.

is cakewalk better than garage band?

Sorry. I edited my last post but probably not before you responded. re read my last post. As for recording. cakewalk vs whatever. I suck at recording :D So I don't know.

hey Tommy just read ur edit

well im kinda trying to mimic Ed if you get time could you youtube the original and listen to how he does it because i think "cold" and "wind" are sung in Falsetto which is what i tried to go for?

i definitely need a teacher because trying to learn singing is one of the hardest things

Ok, my apologies Chris. I never heard that song before so I had nothing to compare it to. I listened to the original as you suggested and to my surprise he has a very low and airy approach. You and him sound a lot alike actually. So nice job there. However :) He is level all the way through whereas you wobble as far as song pitch. I don't mean you go off pitch as far as being in tune but rather the level as much as volume and steadiness of the melody. Yes I see what you say about the "colder" part but he is a bit stronger three where you are weak.

That is all just technique and training and mostly breath support. He is steady. You wobble a bit. He is sure of what he is singing. You...not as much :) (imo) Easy fix. You do sound a lot like him though imo.

I love cakewalk. I can't speak for Garage band. I have ProTools, Cakewalk Sonar Pro 8, and Magix - I like Cakewalk the best of those 3.

www.drop-head.com

Garage band is not bad for recording. It has some awesome features for vocals. I use it while doing vocalizes, and recording them to keep track of my progress.

VA

"Like stars across the sky, we were born to shine!"

wow okay so is my audio not working or what because no1 is giving me feedback isnt that what this is for?

Usually it's the same 3-5 people who reply on every thread, because most people just sign up and post one thing to get feedback, then decide they never want to sing again and disappear.