Video: Great explanation of Resonance and how it works

Rate this topic

ThePowerOfOne

I came across this video on YouTube, and this is by far the most in-depth, detailed video explanation on resonance/projection that I've yet to see out there.

Lately there's been lots of discussion on here about this very topic, and I think this will be beneficial to lots of folks who are confused or unsure about resonance.

This nice gentleman uses some different terminology than is usually used here, but you should be able to get the idea

this guy is very knowledgeable but you have to listen carefully because breath support is key to that method. in one of his warm up vids, it seemed like he intentionally splatted as he went higher. i thought that was interesting.

the "aw" as in awesome vowel. frisell uses that one a lot too.

this guy is very knowledgeable but you have to listen carefully because breath support is key to that method.

Perhaps we should change your login to something like SpeakerofTruth.

We all have resonating spaces. But ya still gotta get the note there. And ya still gotta balance pressure at the folds.

I know I often say that singing is mental. And it is. But the corallary is that it is also physical. As physical, if not more so, than other instruments. A guitar player doesn't have to breath much but his fingers are constantly on the move. A drummer is extremely physical. But unlike a singer, he doesn't control his breath in expiration. He is breathing more like a long distance runner, I thnk, though I do not play drums. But a singer is constantly engaged with the center mass of his body. The core, of which you so often have mentioned.

I was hoping someone with drum experience (I have none unless you consider bouncing pens or pencils on the desk as experience :lol: ) would correct me on that.

I don't have that many instruments under my belt. My brother, Slstone, is way more talented, playing several more instruments, way better at post-recording editing. I started teaching myself guitar in 1974. And I would sing along with what I played. But I really became a "singer" in 1988 and since then, think of myself as a singer who can play some guitar.

I could probably fake some rudimentary bass but only if I thought of the single notes as chords in relation to rhythm.

If you want to hear a good example of my brother's amazing talent, you should hear a collab he and I did for "Heaven on their Minds" from Jesus Christ, Superstar.