Got My Mojo Workin'- (a collaboration)

Rate this topic

Hey,

A couple of months ago, a harmonica player from a Blues harmonica forum I used to belong to, heard my songs on soundclick and wanted to do a collaboration. He is in Sweden and I am here in Pa, in the U.S.

I sent him the vocal track and video and he did the rest. Well he started to but his computer crashed and he didn't expect to be able to fix it or replace it till December. Well, things worked out and he got it done today.

Here it is. Got my Mojo Workin' by Muddy Waters. He details the song and its making in the notes under the video.

His nickname is "Pistolcat."

NOTES:

The Muddy Waters standard. This version is (loosely) based on Adam Gussow's lesson available from modernbluesharmonica.com and that, in turn, is based on Kim Wilson's "Ludella" version.

Vocals by my transatlantic friend Tommy "the Hat" from "Tommy's dirt and soul". Harp by me. Backing track by Lawrence Fritts.

I play a Hohner marine band deluxe in Bb second position key of F. Mic: shure sm 57 to an ampkitlink connector by peavey to my Iphone 4s. Iphone software: ampkit. Mixed in audacity. Tommy sings into a Shure sm58.

Thanks Ron. Listen. All credit goes to my friend Linus (Pistolcat). He is the guy that walked me through this and mixed everything. To me it was a lot of work and I don't look forward to doing it again...:D You know me and recording.....we don't mix :lol: (I had to say that).

But he did a great job. I sent him a vocal track only and a video from a little hand held camera.

Tommy, Great job by you and Pistolcat. This is what I am talking about when I see you gigging on Friday or Saturday nights with your band and sharing with the rest of us. It looks like it would be a blast to do; I know I would enjoy it as a patron. Keep up the good work.

Steve

Thanks Steve (once again). Thanks for all the constant support ;)

I may not have much time and so have no band or really get out to sing but once ever 6 months to a a year. But I keep all doors open and myself exposed.

Wait....maybe exposed is the wrong word :o Out there?

:D

Thanks man. Yea it was fun and I'm happy with the result. I have an idea for another one but it's a song I have wanted to do for a long time (even when I was playing harmonica) but could never find a backing track.

Thanks again.:)

I've been really feeling 'house of the rising sun' lately, I might do that. You know, I took a lot of inspiration in my playing early on from a lot of delta blues and other stuff... especially Mississippi John Hurt, I used to listen to him everyday! I think one of his tunes would be fun to cover!

Haha yea I agree with that completely. I think that pentatonic scales are a very primitave thing, and therefore are very appealing. It does seem as though most, if not all cultures developed pentatonic based music before anything else. But a lot of music now days has lost touch with the bluesy parts, even country music... It really needs to keep in touch with it's roots.

Still, nice collection lol

I'm about an hour from York Pa. on the border of Ma/Pa. From what I hear in the last 2 months you have made tremendous gains. You sound way more confident and the emotion and groove is really coming through. Keep up the good work.

exposed.

Wait....maybe exposed is the wrong word :o Out there?

:D

You're just being gracious to leave me an open line, like that, ripe for the pickin's. But, I will let it go.

No, I can't. With you exposed, your singing draws people near, but the visual image drives them away?

bad ron, bad ron ... I am weak, powerless to resist ...

I am on that highway I sing about, am I not?

:lol: