Healthy Cord Closure

Rate this topic

Hey all, cord closure is often underrated and underworked. I've noticed when I am vocally worn out the first thing that goes down the drain is cord closure.

I created this thread for the members of this forum to share how they specifically attacked cord closure! How do you attack the attack? ;)

My favorite exercises for this are Lindquest's "huh-oh" on a 5 tone scale.

The staccato May, May, May on pretty much any scale, it's just a crazy awesome exercise.

And finally staccato AAH, AAH, AAH (as in CAAAT) on a 5 tone scale.

When doing these exercises if the cord closure is easy and right you may even find yourself doing an unintentional vocal fry, but it should not forced. In my head I keep thinking, easy breezy. Since it's fairly easy to "slam" the cords when doing these exercises and you will see the result when a few phonations later your sound is actually breathy (which atleast for myself I am trying to avoid).

What favorite exercises and mindsets have helped you find good healthy cord closure for your voice? Remember onsets are singing, singing is onsets (Robert Lunte) :cool: If anyone has some favorite onsets for headvoice (I like MEE MEE or MEW MEW) please feel to share that as well :)

- JayMC

wearing down the adduction is from not enough management or control of air in the passagio. Learn to back off the air a little, get the resonance better. Kinda exactly like lift up - pull back.

Unless strain is something you like. Some people like the strain and miss it if they don't have it.

To quote Sargeant Schultz, "I know nothing!"

Thanks ronws, you picked up on my problem already. It takes so little air to close the cords! I am trying to build that sensitivity by slowing down and then speeding up each onset. Tis true, I know nothing :lol:

Thanks ronws, you picked up on my problem already. It takes so little air to close the cords! I am trying to build that sensitivity by slowing down and then speeding up each onset. Tis true, I know nothing :lol:

JayMC: It takes _NO_ air to close the cords. The muscles which adduct the vocal bands, and then lock the vocal process shut, can do this independently, without any flow of air.

Some time ago, Manuel Garcia advocated the onset as beginning with a closed glottis as a way of guaranteeing that it was closed. While we do not do this today, by and large, the ability to close the glottis is fundamental to efficient, non-breathy vocalism.