difference between nodes and hoarseness?

Rate this topic

karimfantom

to sum it up

tuesday: woke up feeling crappy, voice didn't want to warm-up, sang throaty in high register in choir, halfway through choir i quit singing because my throat started feeling uncomfortable

wednesday: speaking voice was hoarse at night after rehearsal, and breathy.

thursday: voice sounded better but different tone quality when I sang. breathy in high register. teacher said I sounded fine.

friday: speaking voice was almost to the point of sounding crackily.

weekend: little to no speaking.

sunday night (today): sang a scale. crackly and breathy in high register.

other things to mention

I've been waking up in the morning with a tickle in my throat

my burps in the morning and early afternoon taste like blood.

VERY slight sensation of pain when i talk. only sometimes though.

AMAZING GOOD FEELING when i yawn in the morning. the stretch in the back of my throat is so relieving. I had my tonsils out 3 months ago.

I'm going to see the ENT on tuesday, but this is driving me nuts. does this SERIOUSLY sound like nodes or would I know if I had nodes? my voice DOES sound better when I stop using it.

do singers get hoarse like this often? my voice has been fatigue from singing but never hoarse or breathy...

Well it sounds like you aren't balancing your head voice resonance at all. Either you have too much mouth pressure and push too much, or have no upper pressure at all and are just thinning your voice as much as possible.

I have gotten hoarse from using the wrong technique. I had a few symptoms you included, the hoarse voice, vocal muscles irritation/tickling, and the foul smell, BUT I never had "Cracking in a normal talking voice" "no speaking voice at all" "pain in talking". Time-wise, I also only over-did my voice for a day, and one time i really screwed up it was horse for a week, but that was only once. So take that how you will. I have head a breathy falsetto before, but that was because I was thinning too much.

Try moving your head downwards and singing some high head voice notes. If it cracks, you might have an obstruction in your throat, but Da doctoz are the only guys/gals who can really tell. And you should also have the smarts to STOP SINGING if you are getting that hoarse/breathy feeling.

It also sounds like you have shit technique and your choir teachers NEEDS to fix that for you.

my technique is not shit. the most probable cause of this is overuse. I warm up and do exercises for at least an hour everyday. I do alexander. I rehearse what feels like 100 pages of music a day. I misused my voice that one time because our section leader went to the bathroom and there was nobody else there to lead the section but me. so I was forced to sing notes I wasn't comfortable with.

my technique is not shit. the most probable cause of this is overuse. I warm up and do exercises for at least an hour everyday. I do alexander. I rehearse what feels like 100 pages of music a day. I misused my voice that one time because our section leader went to the bathroom and there was nobody else there to lead the section but me. so I was forced to sing notes I wasn't comfortable with.

Well I can't personally help you if you are singing head voice notes that you haven't learned yet, or are overusing your voice. If you are confident in your technique, then you shouldn't be worried about vocal nodes. MANY classical women singers tend to get vocal nodes from using poor technique over a long span of time, and not from over using their voice for one day.

if nodes dont appear over 2 bad days of singing then it's just allergies or something.

in the past I COMPLETELY abused my voice in so many ways that I would never do again, but I was young. nothing bad happened but fatigue.

now it feels different than just the normal fatigue. my technique is supervised by my voice teacher who has his doctrine... I warm up every day so that's why i feel as if its crazy that I could have nodes. and I had a 2 month vocal rest after getting my tonsils out. im going to the ENT tuesday.

Shit is a harsh word. Your technique is garbage. Overuse rarely leads to any horseness to last longer than a day or two.

If you can learn to sing without this being a consequence, I will retract my statement about your technique.

The answer to your question is this: If you over work your voice in the way that you are singing, you will lose it for a few days, this is common. I personally believe that that is bad technique that a lot of people share, but people can sing well and sound well so it doesn't matter imho.

You should be fine as long as you take it rather easily... How long have you been singing? Nodes take a while.

Sometimes I taste blood as well. I taste it if I create suction against the roof of my mouth, and I taste it if I eat certain foods. If you cough up blood after singing, you can worry.

Tickle in throat could be so many things, don't worry about that either unless it hurts and doesn't go away.

Yawning always feels really good for me, lol.

:cool:

I think it's quite funny how you can tell just by reading à text that à Singer who quite recently had an operation done to have shitty vocaltechnique... I mean you havent even heard her/him. Even the singers with great technique can run into vocaldamage or overuse...

and even using word such as shit and garbage, I think those are very big words specialy when you really havent got a Clue...

Hmmm, well maybe you misunderstood what I wrote. If it is something other than his singing (contrary to what the post leads us to believe) causing his problem, then it is not bad technique. Otherwise, it is bad technique.

Yea Felipe, that is possible too. I have really bad acid reflux and it causes huge problems when singing. I usually break a calcium tablet into small sections and eat them through the course of an hour, that helps.