What do good front men do in guitar solos?

Rate this topic

jonpall

I want to improve my stage moves, specifically during instrumental sections. So I was wondering, what do great rock singers usually do during guitar solos, or just in terms of moves in general?

I'll start: I've noticed that Bruce Dickinson moves the arm that's not holding his mic in a wide arm a lot when he sings and when there's a guitar solo, he just runs a lot - but he has a big stage :)

Have you guys analyzed the moves of some of the greatest rock or pop front men out there? If so, maybe you'd like to write shortly about them?

Some of the things I have picked up on watching different front men are moving to a location that allows the soloist to move into the center during the solo. I have also seen the front man will pick up a shaker, tambourine or something to keep his hands busy, it might even be clapping or snapping. I have also seen some air guitar playing go on as well. :) It is a fine line to walk because you don't want to take away too much from the soloist moment.

Steve

Depends on the effect that you are going for.

In the seminal video of Deep Purple performing "Child in Time" in front of an audience, Ian remains relatively motionless and quiet as Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore do their bits.

David Lee Roth, on the other hand, is shaking his behind and showcasing people such as Steve Vai.

I've seen Dickinson doing what looks like a 440 m sprint while the band takes their solos and he rushes back stage to take a few hits from an oxygen tank.

Bono rests a leg on the monitor.

Back in the day, Steve Walsh would forward flips off the monitor stacks.

Scott Weiland slithers like a snake.

I say, do what ever moves you. Granted, having some moves helps give continuity to the performance. But I would hate to seem wooden, myself, worrying too much about the right pose or move.

I don't think any taught Mick Jagger the chicken walk. I thnk he just came up with that as being a bit of a clown and it stuck.

And he has accounts to help count his money.

What would you do in the audience of a rock concert during a guitar solo? Basically watch with attention and cheer the guy on if he's kicking arse. Give him his time in the spotlight and share the enjoyment with the audience of seeing some great music.

The worst singer we ever had would act like he was too cool for the solo sections. We would do "War Pigs" and I would be playing most of the stuff straight off the record. It wasn't like I'm yanking my own chain. Those guitar parts are essential to the song. If you don't communicate that your band members rock, the audience won't think so either.

Have you seen Steve via lately? Just saw him couple weeks ago - he has worked on his moves big time. Unbelievable theatrical performance.

I haven't seen him recently, but his performance of "Bad Horsie" from the "Live at the Astoria" DVD is absolutely insane. Words fail to describe it.

I suppose that the best thing to do during guitar solos is just do dance somehow. That way, you kind of become a part of the crowd and also encourage them to dance more. Does anyone know of any youtube videos that teach good moves for this type of dancing?

I agree with the "become part of the crowd" idea. When it's the soloist's time it's their time, and if anything you should be glorifying them, perhaps even silly gestures about how great they are. Hell, the rest of the time you're the centre of focus so why not give them a break? Especially if you play instruments as well you know what I'm talking about. I have dropped to my knees and worshipped at the feet of my lead guitarist once. I felt like an absolute tool but sometimes the moment overcomes you -- and the crowd loved it!

I think performing experience will also lead to what to do.

Or just go hog wild. Bon Scott was never much of a dancer. He would do some spasmodic stuff, Malcolm would be rooted in one spot, crushing chords, and everyone knows Angus. In fact, the whole chaotic melieu of action is part of the appeal.

But it's a good question. We have plenty of coaching advice of what to do while we are singing, how to overcome stagefright, etcetera. But what happens when we shut up and let the other members solo or take the spotlight?

Best bet would to also be an instrumentalist if you have no good ideas and suck at dancing. Someone's gotta lay down rhythm guitar eh?

Then again when Robert Plant would grab the tambourine I'd feel a little embarrassed so if you're going the 'I'm also an instrumentalist' you might want to pick something a little cooler.