A head voice question or two

Rate this topic

wtewalt

So, around C-D5, my head voice seems to switch into a nice and light sound. From there i can carry a note up to around G-A#5 concentrating on relaxing and placing the note. However, after i sing for more than about 15 minute, i cant hit those notes anymore. The rest of my range (up to the D5) feels pretty relaxed but trying to go any higherresults in no note coming outat al. It almost feels like my cords/throat (idont know) cant get into position and trying to make them do so is tiring and causes tension

After singing and letting myself cool down for 10 minutes or so, i can get myself to connect to those notes again and it feels relaxed and not tiring.

I guess my questions are:

1. Is this something related to strengthening the necessary muscles over timeand im just not there yet?

And

2. Is the C5 area another kind of bridge that needs to be worked on? If so, any tips? (right now i concentrate on "up and back" as well as releasing tension and supporting)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

1. 2. Yes and yes, the largest bridge in your entire voice is the bridge between your mix and head voice, or whatever terminology you would like to call it. It's the hardest bridge to get over because you have to be able to have head voice resonance (the part that needs to be developed) while still having the connection from your lower ranges.

So, there can be a whole ton of problems with how you are approaching the upper register. You might be singing in head voice first then trying to take mix up into head voice. Or you might be singing head voice with too much pressure, or anything you can think of.

Please post a recording so we can hear what you are doing.

Mr. Fraser-

The main vowels are oo and ee. Sometimes aa but not as well as the other two. The twang is still somewhat maintained I guess but goes away at the highest notes. The tone of the notes stay pure sounding though without excess air passing through. Everything is always at a low volume (below speaking volume) though and completely falls apart once I start to try and get any more air through.

DoverOs-

How high can the mix voice usually be carried until it tends to reach its limit? I had thought that I was only in my head voice by C5 but I guess that would explain why I have these two completely different ranges that won't seem to connect. I could see the problem being too much pressure because, when I sing with any amount of volume, things very quickly go from being comfortable and easy to tense as hell around E5.

Would it be best to concentrate a lot on the uppermost range and bringing it down to connect with everything else? Any exercise suggestions?

I'd like to post a sound sample but my Mom is visiting from out of town for a few days and she'd probably think I'd lost my mind. How are sound samples usually uploaded?

Would it be best to concentrate a lot on the uppermost range and bringing it down to connect with everything else? Any exercise suggestions?

Yes, the Frisell method. Practice so that head voice controls things and you let the volume back in.

I'd like to post a sound sample but my Mom is visiting from out of town for a few days and she'd probably think I'd lost my mind.

And what is wrong with that? Get used to people thinking you are crazy.

How are sound samples usually uploaded?

File sharing sites like box or soundcloud give out free accounts with like 5 G or so. Save your files to mp3, upload to the fileshare site, it will give you a link to that file. Copy and paste the file link here, in a message.

DoverOs-

How high can the mix voice usually be carried until it tends to reach its limit? I had thought that I was only in my head voice by C5 but I guess that would explain why I have these two completely different ranges that won't seem to connect. I could see the problem being too much pressure because, when I sing with any amount of volume, things very quickly go from being comfortable and easy to tense as hell around E5.

I'd like to post a sound sample but my Mom is visiting from out of town for a few days and she'd probably think I'd lost my mind. How are sound samples usually uploaded?

Depends on your own range, but generally it's only a few notes above your second octave. For me, a2-c5 is my whole range from chest to mix, and c#5 and higher has head voice resonance. To connect mix and head, or connect any lower parts of your voice, your voice HAS to thin/lighten out before you can add power to it. Everyday I sing working on lightening my voice, and it's not until the next day i can take that power slightly higher, then I continue lightening. wash rinse repeat. So even if you are making progress, be wary of adding in that power, and know that it will come in by itself the better you get.

DoverOs-

Okay cool it sounds like you and I have pretty much the same range. I'll work on using the upper range above D#5 and bringing it down into my mix voice. Is that basically what the "Frisell" method is? I think you were right on with adding power into my mix and incorrectly trying to push it up into head voice.

Since I'm not actually getting up into head voice to exercise it most of the time, does it make sense that I'm still able go from chest to mix pretty well?

I've also never really been able to sing in an airy falsetto. I've tried many times but it never comes out airy. Could that be due to my lack of head voice usage?

DoverOs-

Okay cool it sounds like you and I have pretty much the same range. I'll work on using the upper range above D#5 and bringing it down into my mix voice. Is that basically what the "Frisell" method is? I think you were right on with adding power into my mix and incorrectly trying to push it up into head voice.

Since I'm not actually getting up into head voice to exercise it most of the time, does it make sense that I'm still able go from chest to mix pretty well?

I've also never really been able to sing in an airy falsetto. I've tried many times but it never comes out airy. Could that be due to my lack of head voice usage?

yeah having a good mix without connecting to head is a good sign at any rate. Before I could connect I could still hit a good b4, and short c5s. Connecting to head is extremely challenging for most singers.

I'm not sure what you mean by airy falsetto. But in general, head voice or falsetto is something that takes a lot of dedication and time to get the technique or tone you want.

Okay, cool, that helps a lot. Thanks! I'll work on working down from my head voice and cutting back on the volume and see where that gets me.

I only mentioned falsetto because it seems to be described on the forum as a result of incomplete cord closure (hope I'm getting that right). Even though I can't usually get to it, my upper range is always really connected and doesn't have the airiness of falsetto. Falsetto is just something that doesn't happen for me. I just thought that was weird.

Okay, cool, that helps a lot. Thanks! I'll work on working down from my head voice and cutting back on the volume and see where that gets me.

I only mentioned falsetto because it seems to be described on the forum as a result of incomplete cord closure (hope I'm getting that right). Even though I can't usually get to it, my upper range is always really connected and doesn't have the airiness of falsetto. Falsetto is just something that doesn't happen for me. I just thought that was weird.

Well unless you are trying to have a falsetto tone, holding onto your head voice pressure is better then letting it go in most cases.