Singing in My High Register Quickly Tires My Voice

Rate this topic

Overdrive

I used to almost never sing that high, and now I'm trying to do it almost exclusively (mixed voice and up). However, if I'm singing to a song that goes quite high, my voice will get tired very fast (in a matter of minutes). Does this provide any insight into something I'm doing wrong?

It's very common to constrict and strain the voice, so with no more information I would guess this. Especially if you're singing a lot in the passagio (E4-A4) (just above middle C). There's a big difference between singing mostly in the lower-middle range and having occasional notes in the upper area, than singing a whole song in the higher area and straining the whole way -- like most aspiring singers will do when we attempt to sing most popular songs because they're in that area.

If you post an audio clip, I'm sure the great minds here could help you a lot more :)

Maybe I'm straining in an attempt to get more power in the tone, although I'm sure that's not the right way to do it that's what is happening naturally.

http://soundcloud.com/tmusician/high-register/s-aIehH

Here's a clip with me singing with a particularly high song, and then just something more mixed for comparison.

Well, it's hard to tell how your mouth is. It doesn't sound like it's pushing too much, but that might just be the tone hiding it. You obviously have too much hold/pressure in your diaphragm and your entire throat area, as a result of trying to get a certain tone.

So work on relaxing your throat, but before that, it would be important to get a recording where you just went up whole tones for instance, so we can make sure you aren't making your mouth too wide.