How Low Should I Bring Falsetto/Headvoice

Rate this topic

Hey all, how LOW should I bring the head voice before trying to blend the registers? Similarly to pulling chest, isn't there such a thing as pulling head? How do I make sure I am not pulling head voice too low and hurting my chances of blending the voice. What has worked for you when blending downwards?

- JayMC

In my experience pulling the head voice downwards is much better than pulling chest upwards. You eventually want a balanced coordination but the former leads to a weaker voice around middle C, and the latter leads to constriction and straining and many bad things.

I think a lot of people these days are subscribing to the idea that the head voice is where the action happens. The "mix" is really the lower headvoice, beefed up. NOT the chest voice thinned out. At least for the this approach has been really helping.

I will think of head voice as low as Bb below middle C. It's personal but as a typical shouty male I suspect most men would be better off chucking their ego to the side and sounding like a girl as much as possible :D At least to begin with.

yep, the higher you go the more your resonance needs to shift towards head voice. Whenever you run into a break where it's hard to get past, then you have to understand that you NEED more head, and NEED to start backing off your pressure/tension for the current level you have.

That pattern has to keep happening each time you run into a block. There's a gray area slightly above your second octave where the largest break is. It's the same pattern, but It feels awkward because you actually have to start shifting into head resonance, and still be connected, just to warn you.

So apply the need for head voice and need to lessen tension, and you will get better.