technique!

Rate this topic

chele1000

Hi gang!

Am I using any of these techniques you are always talking about in this example? There is a high note at the end....what note would you guys call that (ie: G4 is something I see on these forums).

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20445985/Wet_Wild_Mastered.mp3

Thanks! I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the terms so I can follow more conversations on here. :)

Michele

Rock on...

Michele - Your voice is beautiful! Nice performance and nice production. Your voice is so consistent and steady - great technique - great pitch. I'm not quite sure how you would classify it - I'm new to all this current terminology. I'm pretty sure that none of the performance would be classified as overdrive. Maybe belting on the last few notes (I hear some twang there)? Curbing for most of it? I'm interested to see what others say.

I think the CVTers would call it neutral? To me its a nice mixed voice, certainly some twang here and there. Dont dare to check that note, too late here, (plus Im in bed) but it sounds like a G5?

Not sure if you are asking what G4 stands for or if you are asking if the during the track do you sing a G4.

Concerning the first potential question - it refers to pitch / frequency matching the piano key G4. Here is a chart of piano keys and the frequencies they are tuned to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_key_frequencies

Note: C2 - deep C, C3 - low C, C4 - middle C, A4 - A440, C5 - tenor C, C6 - soprano C, C7 - double high C

Also note: the integer increments on the C - G5, G#5, A5, A#5, B5, C6, C#6, D6, D#6, E6, F6, F#6, G6

Thanks Mark! That link is exactly what I needed. Yes, I wanted to know the meaning of that. I have since determined it's a D5. :)

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I hope Martin and others will comment on my techniques.

cheers!

Michele

Rock on...

• 4 weeks later...

Chele, I think that's the case with all schools of singing. Before people named it chesregister or headregister they were still using the techniques. CVT just have a different way of dividing the voice's functions into modes rather than regesiters. And offcourse you can practice finding different modes or the "center" of a mode, but according to CVT you always use one of the four modes but not neccessarily the center of one.

CVT:ers please correct me if I'm wrong :) But after reading CVT this was my conclusion.

• Administrator

What Martin is saying is true. Most of this stuff has been around already, (not all, there are relatively new inventions in voice pedagogy and how to use the voice), but generally speaking, most of it has been around. What I like about EVTS, CVT and what I also use in my pedagogy as well, is the idea of classifying vocal physiology and the resulting acoustics these unique "mode" or "qualities" create. I firmly believe, that to frame the abstract experience of voice pedagogy into vocal mode classifications as such, is the way to go and the future of voice pedagogy.