Relieving pressure in the neck

Rate this topic

D.Starr

How does one go about relieving pressure in the neck whilst singing?

Doesn't feel like choking just a lot of air being held back.

Lower core?

Need some advice.

Also, crying up high. It's helping keep my cords together but how do I keep the cry but have a clear tone, not squeaky/cackly?

http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=5284 post#4

read that. Lightening the tension is something that you just have to focus on. If you are pushing with your voice it's obviously not going to lighten. One thing I like to do is to keep your hand on your throat, to judge where all your tension is coming from. blending in head voice will allow you to relax.

How does one go about relieving pressure in the neck whilst singing?

Doesn't feel like choking just a lot of air being held back.

Lower core?

Need some advice.

Also, crying up high. It's helping keep my cords together but how do I keep the cry but have a clear tone, not squeaky/cackly?

I think I can really help you here as I just fixed this same problem tonight.

I have really been working on support lately and finally have that established. I finally figured out how to keep my rib cage very wide and have freedom in the abs to be able to squeeze. The problem is that I was completely filling up with air, even if I was just singing a 4 word phrase. I can hold back my air very well with my support but I was just using WAY too much and actually was trying to find ways to take in even more. I had that exact pressure that you are describing and I kept thinking that my voice was just off for the last week or so. I finally realized what I was doing wrong and started working on taking in VERY little air. In fact, I was just expanding the ribs and getting rid of air before I started singing and even then, I had far more than I needed. Before I was filling up and probably not even getting through half of my air before taking another breath and filling up again. Tonight I was just using a tiny bit and it completely took the pressure off and freed up my whole range like I have never felt. Learning the support (Even with far too much air) made a dramatic difference in my singing, but learning to take in less air has been huge.

Having too much air was giving me a ton of tension on my onsets. I actually used a thread on here to help with that. The thread is titled "Decreasing Tension at the Onset" and it really helped me. In particular, the usage of the 'a' in the word 'cat' really helped me when I did it without any click at the onset. Using the h before vowels on staccato notes was also a big help but these only help when I am still using the same support principles and using VERY little air.

Let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

This might crazy, but have you tried yoga or pilates?

In particular, pilates was made to work all the necessary areas for dancers.

I know that singers aren't dancers, but I can imagine that relaxing and flexing all

areas of the body might give you some comfort.

Similar to singing, they also give you a greater sense of your body from the inside.

Good luck.