Improving Cord Closure (HELP!)

Rate this topic

Hey all, I have had to restructure my training. I'm pushing my voice too hard and it has basically told me NO lol. My vocal cords leak breath or start to "slam" together in hopes of producing a tone. How can I solve this issue? How can I make cord closure something simple. When I work on basic cord closure exercise, maybe some Ah, ah, ah or ay, ay, ay.... my voice improves DRASTICALLY. I love that feeling but cord closure mastery has a long way to go for me.

How can I remedy this issue? When my voice goes higher it gets "breathier" instead of more resonant. How can I improve cord closure WITHOUT hurting my voice. The one thing that has worked for me so far is to start the cords in a closed position huh-oh, or heh-eh really works.

Hope someone can help improve my closure! Also the "gugs and goos" actually make my cord "slam" together and do not help as much as much for me personally as a MUM or MOOM. (I have the 4 pillars training program so any references to that would help as well)

Cords leaking breath, tone suffering, throat hurting! HELP!! :/

- JayMC

Hey all, I have had to restructure my training. I'm pushing my voice too hard and it has basically told me NO lol. My vocal cords leak breath or start to "slam" together in hopes of producing a tone. How can I solve this issue? How can I make cord closure something simple. When I work on basic cord closure exercise, maybe some Ah, ah, ah or ay, ay, ay.... my voice improves DRASTICALLY. I love that feeling but cord closure mastery has a long way to go for me.

How can I remedy this issue? When my voice goes higher it gets "breathier" instead of more resonant. How can I improve cord closure WITHOUT hurting my voice. The one thing that has worked for me so far is to start the cords in a closed position huh-oh, or heh-eh really works.

Hope someone can help improve my closure! Also the "gugs and goos" actually make my cord "slam" together and do not help as much as much for me personally as a MUM or MOOM. (I have the 4 pillars training program so any references to that would help as well)

Cords leaking breath, tone suffering, throat hurting! HELP!! :/

- JayMC

Make sure you are not taking in a lot more air than you need.

What Owen said.

Especially at first, one may tire quickly. That's why beginner practice should fairly short and not overextended. Practicing longer is actually a result of some time and building of endurance. But even endurance wise. There's times I get home and I'm not hoarse but I feel a little fatigued. Then I realize, I've been singing with the radio for 1 and 1/2 hours, non-stop.

In the average rock show, the entire show will span 90 minutes to 2 hours and that includes instrumental breaks, useless and vain banter with the audience, solos for each of the band members while the others take potty breaks.

So, when you're at home, warming up for an hour, then practicing for an hour, you are already working the voice longer and possibly harder than in an actual show.

In the end, it's not how long you do something, it's how you do that something. And, that everything can fatigue, eventually.

We had one new member come her and complain of his voice getting fatigued and not always responding as he would like it to respond. He sang in his church choir. Taught choir singing to others, Practiced singing for 2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the evening, rehearsal with his band for a few hours 5 nights a week. At least one show a week, sometimes two, sometimes on the same night.

And he did honestly wonder why his voice was getting tired, now and then. YA THINK?

Anyway, off my soapbox. Do what you are supposed to do and have patience.

Thanks Owen, ConsumingFire, ronws. It's funny how other singers can pick up the problems of others so easily, I read recently that Garcia did not allow his students to progress until they mastered closure. Taking less breath in and keeping it low does help, it is true that I am not putting enough focus on the cord closure exercises, will do! Might have to stop singing actual songs for a while but hey, gotta do what you gotta do :D

Willise, if the quack and nay are not working for you... chances are you are using too MUCH air. Before doing any of them go "ss-ss-ss" rapidly like a snake until your out of breath. Take a slow breath but dont fill up all the way, I'd say 40%.... take that breath as low as possible. Try (ah) as in cat..... Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah, on a 5 tone scale, start off slow at a comfortable range, stick tongue out and let jaw drop if there is still tension. It's basically ultra-compressed quacking, quack may be too hard on the vocal cords if your used to pushing. If you feel you can't close the cords still, try a semi-occluded constant such as Mah, mah, mah, may, may may, those really help.

Willise, if the quack and nay are not working for you... chances are you are using too MUCH air. Before doing any of them go "ss-ss-ss" rapidly like a snake until your out of breath. Take a slow breath but dont fill up all the way, I'd say 40%.... take that breath as low as possible. Try (ah) as in cat..... Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah, Ah, on a 5 tone scale, start off slow at a comfortable range, stick tongue out and let jaw drop if there is still tension. It's basically ultra-compressed quacking, quack may be too hard on the vocal cords if your used to pushing. If you feel you can't close the cords still, try a semi-occluded constant such as Mah, mah, mah, may, may may, those really help.

The ah in cat was a very big help for me as well.

I have been taking in probably 40% and then kicking out half of that breath before doing these exercises. I have just been taking in way too much air and need to learn to use less. It has been a bigger help than I could have ever imagined.