Cover of "grita" by Jarabe de Palo

Rate this topic

Hi everyone, I'm new to this website and excited to find something like this exists! I've posted a couple videos on youtube, but it's hard to get actual feedback. I have just started singing and would love some tips for improvement!

Here is the youtube link to my cover.

Thanks!

I didn't know the song but I like the way you sing. And it was nice to hear spanish sung with a clear tone.

I work with guys who are from Mexico and some of them have such thick accents, it's difficult to understand their spanish, let alone their english. The one guy who came from Chihuahua has problably the clearest accent but that just might how he was raised. And I am drifting.

Good singing, good song. Were you playing keyboards at the same time as singing? Well done, if you were.

I listened to three songs on your channel and liked them all as far as your singing voice goes. Very nice voice. I like it. :) If I had to say anything in the way of critique it would be commitment. Somehow just a little something was missing. Like you didn't commit yourself enough to certain notes. Almost like you were a bit shy or afraid to let go. But nice stuff. Really nice voice :)

Thanks for the listen guys! You've got a good point Tommy - I get a bit shy when I sing, but I feel like it ends up limiting me more than I'd like it to, so I'll work on that. And -it was me on the piano too Ron, so thanks!

You have a pleasant voice. Do not know the song which in a way is nice. You have a rather light and steady tonality with a consistent presence, which is good.

The only thing I can think of, I guess if there was a key word of what I'm thinking, it's 'dynamics' in general. There are quite a few options of doing this:

Add more 'emphasis' on syllables

Pull/push timings a bit from metronomic

Using a slightly weightier tone for more emphasis.

Fluctuate volume slightly more

Dynamics, not necessarily pitch dynamics (which so many people seem obsessed with, lol) but dynamics in general for me at least would push you over that edge. Go from what is a pleasant pop song, to something that could really, dig into you as a performer. Don't be afraid to be a bit selfish and revel in it.

Shyness could make that tough, but there is a flip side to shyness, and that's bottled up things we have trouble expressing. Music can be an outlet. I believe in you. You're already doing well. Keep at it.

Thanks KillerKu, I will try adding some dynamics to my singing next time my roommates are out! :) When you say use a weightier tone do you mean a huskier voice? or louder?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the tips.