Adding air to the voice

Rate this topic

treble

Is it safe to add air in to the voice? CVT says that it is dangerous to add air to any but the neutral mode. But many singers appear to me to add a lot of air to modes that CVT would call curbing or overdrive. Ken Tamplin often does this in his video demonstrations:

Here's an example of Gary Louris doing it and he's been doing it for twenty years with no problems:

Any thoughts?

Ken Tamplin is "drinking" the sound... it just sounds like more air. If you want to force more air do it through lip rolls/tongue trills/straws. Listen to Ken Tamplin carefully, he is not one to waste air, it's an illusion.

But Tamplin explicitly claims to be adding air during the explanations at the end of the video.

By, drinking sound I suppose you mean a high support value. A high support value is compatible with adding air so long as the air is added in a controlled way.

Tamplin says "he goes through this morphing" of air. I think if you are comfortable with singing non-breathy such as the powerful headvoice tamplin demonstrates you should then attempt a "breathier" sound. Ofcourse it is merely an effect ;) I would not train for this until the rest of the voice is in balance. The original singer clearly has a developed upper register and uses the breathiness for an "effect" :)

Thinking only in technique, its wrong.

But, as an interpretative resource, its great.

Think like this: it adds stress. So to use it safely, you need to first reduce stress on your "normal" voice, while keeping quality high.

After you can execute it with ease without the air, then its safe to add air. If not, you have more "pressing" matters to consider :).

Don't have time to listen to all those clips, but if I remember correctly, in the Lou Gramm clip, he says that he ONLY uses air in the LOW part of the song, where the melody is very soft. When he needs more power, in the bridge and chorus, he uses almost no air at all.

Did he say that or not, for those who have watched the clips?