Lost patience, ready to choose a program and stick with it...

Rate this topic

xx

Hi all,

I've grown tired of trying to learn how to sing on my own and not progressing at the rate I feel I should be. I made a thread a while ago on struggling to get to an A4, but now I'm not even happy with my G's, I just don't think they're coming easily and freely enough. I'm certain my problem is that I'm not bridging early enough, and likely not properly.

Basically I'm ready to put some money into what has become somewhat of an obsession, and I'm looking for advice as to which books/programs I should go for. This is the kind of control of my voice I want to achieve, maybe not as high as the Buckley's can take it, but at least up to the A4. That's my goal.

I know the 4 Pillars program will likely be highly recommended here, so maybe I should just go with that. I just thought I'd ask for opinions, and that if people knew what kind of singing I'm going for they'd be able to help me out. I just want to be able to sing by the time I turn 25, I've got 4 years!

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that if I do spend some money, that it will lead somewhere.

Thanks

You can spend the money and it will take you there because of the work you put into it. Not just because of the money you spent.

I always recommend 4 Pillars and still do. And not for any favor around here. I like it because it reminds me of the classical techniques I have studied and I find that the exercises and the mechanics of it are the safest thing for your voice and that you will be singing easy and in an astounding manner for the next 40 years.

Seriously, I don't get points, I have a bad habit of speaking my mind, good or bad, often to my own detriment. And I still think 4 Pillars would be best for you. The good thing about it is that Lunte is not pressing you into some sound ideal. He takes the genre that you want and leads you there.

And there are other good systems out there. But you might as well stick with one system, a system that carries you through from begining to amazing in one fell swoop. No stages of products to buy, no infinite number of extra things to pay for. One all-inclusive system with all the files or cds (depending on digital download or hardcopy set) of everything in the system. One-stop shopping, as it were.

But, in the end, whether you buy it or not, the work is on you. Check out Lunte's channel and watch the videos of his students. Not one dud among them.

Keith, one of our newer members this year, is in the program and he grows by leaps and bounds every week, with a larger range than I will ever have. Crazy, scary good.

And you will be, too.

Thank you for your input and encouraging words, hard work will not be an issue, I spend just about every minute of free time I have on either playing instruments or working on my voice (I'm still a student, so I have lots of time to procrastinate :P). I just feel like with vocals its not strictly a time-put-into-it thing, its doing things the right way, so that's why I've decided to go with a program instead of continuing to do a bunch of exercises that probably don't belong together.

Just a quick bump, just want to clarify quickly. So with 4 pillars, I won't have to sing those high notes the way Lunte does in some of his demonstrations? I'll just learn how to add that bit of "chestiness" to my head voice, and then I'll be able to use it however I want stylistically? So soft or loud?

I don't want to sound stubborn, but I don't really want to change everything about how I sing, I'm sure many here can relate to that. I just want that ease of access to those money notes everyone wants, and I'm willing to work hard for it, I just want to make sure this is the right program for me. Just doing my due diligence. Thanks for all your help.

• Administrator

Hi XX

Glad I came across this...

Listen bud, training with 'me' , with "The Four Pillars of Singing" isn't going to radically change the way you sound sonically. It really isn't about that, other then, any tonal changes that do happen will be a result of building more strength and coordination and will be something you like. It will be YOU, just you sounding stronger and more coordinated... its not going to be you, sounding like me? I guarantee that point.

There are so many differences in everyone's voice. Everyone has a different vocal tract (a different resonant space), everyone distorts a little differently, etc, etc... don't worry about losing any aesthetics or flavor from your voice that you currently like, just because your training on my scales and thinking about vocal technique in my terms/talk-track/language. It is going to just make you sound better... YOU.

So in regards to my high notes in Pillars... and all the workout demonstrations in Pillars... it was a very interesting endeavor to say the least when I filmed that content. When you see and hear me demonstrating those difficult workouts, I am singing or really more accurately, phonating vocal workouts for 6-8 hours a day in front of a camera. Every workout bridges, every workout modulates chromatically, I'm trying to show good form on all aspects, I've had no lunch, I'm probably half pissed off because its the 3rd take on some of them, etc... the point is... the sound, vowels, colors, etc... are there primarily to just get me through the damn workouts... these are not exactly the sounds and colors I would use if I was singing.

The aesthetic changes from chopping on workouts to actually singing. They are different things...

The value to you is, you have all these unique and original vocal workouts to train with and me demonstrating them so you can watch how to do it and eve sing over the top with me for a short period until you learn how the workout goes. This concept is called, "guide workouts". I'm guiding you... I'm showing you how to do it... I'm not saying, 'this is how you sound when YOU do it". My voice is different then yours.

Its true that you should stick with one program and commit to it. If I may just say a few things about Pillars here... its VERY comprehensive. It offers you a book, 6 DVDs in high definition video, 4 audio CDs with the previously mentioned 'guide' content and the solo front line training content with piano scales.

Also, this is a bit of a sneak preview for Xmas... but what the hell, I'm excited about it for my clients.... me and my team have developed, the "Training Media Interface". The TMI is a whole new way of organizing content from pillars. That is to say, 463 files and 12GB of content is now inside of a user friendly application. Its all embedded into a media player with hot linked menus so you can get to every piece of content quickly... this method of organizing training content has never been done before. It is very innovative and I think its a game changer in the business... anyone that invests in "Pillars" these days... as of about one week ago, Also gets the new 'Training Media Interface". Download this screen shot to see what Im talking about.

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/dkbq167fg46n3u0q0tu8

And one of the best things I can do for you to cut to the chase and not get into a questionable, big long thing about my product here is just give you a copy of the Table of Contents. Download this, it will give you an idea of some of the things you will be getting with your investment in "Pillars".

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/s/n8zcmcdg7zheglalrh4w

That's just the book... and then you get all the video and audio content on top of that...

Lastly, I'll be here for you as much as possible... other people that are my clients will vouch for that. If you have a question about how to do something or would like me to take a few minutes to review your singing and want to send a file to me... Ill do it. Purchasing "Pillars" will not be the last time you hear from me, Im committed to helping you sing better and I consider it my responsibility to help you with my content.

Lastly, take private lessons with me too... it really pushes you forward with more clarity on what you need to do. I hope this helps. You are all welcome to contact me personally on my email if you have questions about this.

Hope this helps...

Alright, that all sounds very good, and wow, thank you for putting the time in to reply to me. And just so you know, I wasn't meaning to be insulting to your tone or how you sing when I asked whether I'd be singing high notes like you do, I just wanted to clarify that I'd be able to shape those notes into other sounds as well, and it seems as if I would be.

Again, thank you very much.

• Administrator

XX

I never felt you were insulting me? I understood your question... people get confused about training vs the art of singing all the time. If you go to my store , you can watch a video of all the details of the product, (not including the new Training Media Interface... that's new and comes with your purchase), but everything else.

Im excited to have you as a client and will roll up my sleeves and go the whole mile with ya until we win together... thats just how I roll.

• Administrator

... Im not sure I agree with Owen entirely on this... the more mature you become as a singer, the more you find your own sound and are less inclined to sing like the teacher. In Owen's response, he indicated that he has experimented with modifying to different vowels over A4... that was Owen's creative choice and something he felt worked well for him... but I'm glad someone shows him what vowel modification is, how to do it and what it can do for you. Without that knowledge, there would of been no splatty or darker vowel.

Incidentally, the modification to 'ae' around A4 Owen is for men primarily and its a beginnery thing... I sing darker vowels there these days too most of the time because I can, students that choke on the 2nd bridge can benefit modifying to an 'ae' at A4... but its not 'what I do' or teach unless I have to. Sometimes you want to modify to an 'ae' anyways because it sounds more witchy and more rock/contemporary then the more theatery darker formant... once you can modify to either formant, its creative choices and tactical decisions...