VOCAL FOR FUN (HIGH RANGE/RASPY)

Rate this topic

Danielformica

Now it's going to drive me crazy not being able to hear the whole song with music. :mad:

Some day I will be able to sing like that. Maybe another 50 years. But Some day. Great job. And thanks for sharing. :D

Sounded awesome.

Were you using a lot of cry? Sounded to me like you were.

Even though the sound isn't what I'm looking for because I'm an R&B singer, it's nice to hear how much cry is needed and how you have to blend it into your singing voice.

That is something I'm working on, keeping the cry to keep the folds together, hold back the air and lean into my voice more so I don't crack. I can do it up to a C5 but it sounds weak.

D Starr it's something you work with and then lay off. Alot of the cry is temporary and then used for style if you over use it you'll end up off balance. Goto my soundcloud and listen to Al Green Tower of Power and Bobby Womack tune all including this one are sung with different degrees of cry head voice falsetto chest voice etc. it's all a matter of style. Also listen to Bruno Mars he sings with a tremendous amount cry and passion in his voice.

The term cry is a direction to go towards like If you were singing something very open and having a hard time with it I might say pretend like you are "crying or whining". This would help you keep it together, if you put to much on there all the time it would make you sound very narrow and tight .Hope that helps. You need to very your degrees, there is no one answer.

Sounds great Daniel! Man I wish I could do that ... Maybe some day. Question for you: does singing with that rasp fatigue you any more than if you sang without it? Or is it just an overlay that is pretty easy to do up high?

Yeah I understand you fully. I've been studying the infamous Vocal Power 4 video by Tony Hora.

It's been helping a lot.

Still got that pressure feeling at E4 onwards but I'm slowly getting there. It's getting my mind around thinning the cords but still leaning in and supporting.

That could be it dstarr.. A lot of times when we learn something new we think it's the answer but all it is, is the answer to how your voice was that day you learned it.. That's why I stick to the fundamentals and principles that are for everyday voice application. If my voice gets out of whack I use a trick like a cry or a whimper or a grunt etc to help me get to where I'm going. Once I get it I go back to a neutral singing position and work..:)

• 2 weeks later...

Top quality Daniel, very cool. I was with the file here and took a listen today :). It sounds very fun by its own, and thats what we all need when recording any kind of material. A great reference.

Oh yeah, very cool how controled and relaxed your voice is, you always go away from terms and technique arguments, but execution at this level is virtuose. :)

Thanks Felipe I really appreciate it.. I know I run away a little from those terms and tech arguments. Truth is I know the terms and the tech But I feel practicing something is much more efficient than talking about it. Its like teaching my daughter to drive,she has read the manual and the DMV material but when she got behind the wheel she couldnt figure out how to use the gas and break properly and was steering into curbs because she didnt know how to control her car(voice) Its all about practice and experimenting on what you THINK IS HEADVOICE FALSETTO CURBING EDGE ETC:):)

Thanks Felipe I really appreciate it.. I know I run away a little from those terms and tech arguments. Truth is I know the terms and the tech But I feel practicing something is much more efficient than talking about it. Its like teaching my daughter to drive,she has read the manual and the DMV material but when she got behind the wheel she couldnt figure out how to use the gas and break properly and was steering into curbs because she didnt know how to control her car(voice) Its all about practice and experimenting on what you THINK IS HEADVOICE FALSETTO CURBING EDGE ETC:):)

We do have to get in the car and drive but please both of you keep guiding us to the clutch, gas pedal and breaks.

I almost forgot The steering wheel also.

I for one truely enjoy watching and hearing you guys when you are behind the wheel.