Lacking in education

Rate this topic

MDEW

Help me out guys. I feel that I have really missed the greats. While everyone was listening to Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Queensryche I was listening to Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet. So most of the singers you mention I have to look up to find out who they were.

What are some of the great songs and singers that I missed.

Lets see, for the Dio version of Black Sabbath there's neon knights, heaven and hell, children of the sea, and mob rules for a few. Queensryche, it's easier for me to say check out the first 6 albums to hear geoff tate in his heyday, especially the first four. The albums are : EP, the warning, rage for order, operation mindcrime, empire, and promised land. Eh, here's a few songs to start with. Queen of the reich, lady wore black, Take hold of the flame, NM156, walk in the shadows, the whisper, screaming in digital, eyes of a stranger, suite sister mary, empire, anybody listening, I am I.

Hope this helps, and enjoy

rob

Daniel,

I looked up that Badlands song. I really liked it. The only Black sabbath songs I have heard are from the Ozzy days. Paranoid and Iron Man are the only songs I hear on the radio. The only Deep Purple song I have heard is Smoke on the Water. Until now that is.

In the eighties I was playing bass for a Country / Southern Rock band. I was the youngest and the other band members were into Frank Zappa, Beatles and Crosby,Stills& Nash. All of my cousins who played music, And their are many, were into Southern Rock or Folk music. (John Denver, James Taylor, Jim Croce).

It's no wonder I never learned how to really ROCK OUt in the higher range.

Robsomeguy, ( nowa days you have to to get by )

Thanks for your input. I will look up your suggestions.

I didn't even realize that Black Sabbath had so many different singers. I will have to spend a day or two just listening to the earlier albums.

Well Dio is someone you can never go wrong with. He was always perfect live and kept singing till the day he died.

If you want to hear some powerful modern singers 'Mats Leven, Russel Allen, Jorn Lande' are all really, really, really good.

And don't forget chris cornell (soundgarden, audioslave)

Dio is held in high regard here. Chris Cornell and Jorn Lande are other names that come up quite often. Geoff Tate is another.

The death metal low fry thing I can do without. It's just not my type of music.

Led Zepplin, Foreigner, Reo Speedwagon.... is more of the type of music I like.

Dio, Tate and Cornell fit right in there.

Glenn Hughes (with co-singer and friend, David Coverdale) with Deep Purple. Glenn is the one with the cleaner voice singing the higher notes.

And, again, when he did a solo album with Tony Iommi and the record company decided it was Black Sabbath album.

Graham Bonnett, when he was with Rainbow (almost the biggest selling song for the band, "Since You've Been Gone."

let's add in toto, eddie money, richard marx, rainbow, muze, grand funk railroad, moody blues, and budgie.

and boy i'm sure i missed more.

I remember a good little band with a definitely rock sound worth listening to. What was their name? It was kind of funny because I think some of the guys were british but they had an american singer.

Oh yeah, I remember, Foreigner. Seriously, the band's greatest hits collection is 3 cd's. How do I know? I got it for Christmas a few years ago.