NEXT SKYPE CONFERENCE

Rate this topic

Danielformica

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys for the next conference I would like to suggest an open forum for straight up questions sort of like a masterclass? How does that sound?

I'm so bad. Open questions remind of Woody Allen's movie, "Take the Money and Run."

He winds up in a prison road crew like "Cool Hand Luke" and the warden gives that "what we've got here is failure to communicate" type of speech and he invites questions, rhetorically, not actually expecting one. And Woody Allen pipes up with a question that is totally non-sequitur to the previousl speech.

Priceless, and totally useless.

Anyway, sounds like a cool idea.

I have a dumb question. (really MDEW who'd of thought?) Actually more of a request.

Most of you who attend the skype conference are the ones who have the answers.

Will you represent us beginners by asking some questions that we should be asking?

And I hope we can get the great TERMinator Rachsing on the call. I can't wait to hear all the jargon being spewed put into actual vocalise. I'm so excited I think I just pooped myself....yep I did...

Vowel

Don't confuse your vowel syndromes and bowel syndromes, Daniel.

I do MDEW, I tried to upload it 2 times already, over-night, its over 100mb and my upload speeds are of pre historical ratings, both attempts resulted in error near the end lol. ill try again tonight.

BTW, when should we do this one? Daniel, I would like a masterclass on Journey - Faithfully :).

I just came up with a great topic for the first part of the conference.

I was just busting my butt singing in my garage for the last 4 hours starting with about a 40 minute warm up while I cooked dinner for my family after that I began to sing to Luther Vandross, Donny Hathaway, Terence Trent Darby and Ray Gillian. I sang about 2-4 songs from each artist about 3-4 times each song. Now this is normal for me and I work and work and I still got so upset with myself because I wanted it to be easier and better.

So I would like to have the discussion on how singing is a journey and there are no short cuts. If there was wouldn't myself and a few others I know (with all the "famous" teachers I took from" have the secrets and shortcuts

There are no short cuts and no new term that is gonna make you sing better in a week or month or year for that matter. Topic YOU MUST PUT IN THE WORK

Daniel: That sounds like a great, and much needed topic! Would love to hear what others are going through in their voice training journey. Its most definitely a lot of work, a lot of dedication, and you really, but I mean, really must want it to succeed.

I would wake up at 4am for this topic!

Thanks!:cool:

Sounds like a cool topic. It doesn't matter how much I sing or how little I sing, whether I get through a song or crap out, due to whatever reason. It doesn't matter if I discover some subtle thing tomorrow that makes singing easier than it has ever been in the past few decades. I just can't bring myself to think of it as work. I've tried to think of it as putting in the work time and I just can't do it. Singing is something that I cannot stop myself from doing, good, bad, indifferent. Singing is a joy and no amount of repetition or instruction of repetition or numerous post of "oh my god, this is such hard work" etc can change my mind. I must be defective. Every day of singing is good for me, even if I have a problem. I just don't care if it's "work." It is still fun and a joy for me.

Peace, brethren, and sistren(?).

• TMV World Member

I definitely conceptualize singing as being a journey. Personally, it's just a natural part of my journey through life. I believe that one needs to discover their strengths in singing and that only happens through the practice of singing itself. What you receive from vocal coaches (including the famous ones) are tools. I see each piece of advice, every learned technique as a tool to be kept in your vocal toolbox. They aren't shortcuts to being an amazing singer. It's up to you to harness the power of your voice using those tools. You only realize what you have and where you're at with your voice once you start playing around with techniques, tone and placement.

But this journey of singing is a joy, not a chore. I guess we're getting caught up on the definition of "work" - my instant reaction was to picture a busy person stressing/getting frustrated over achieving a certain goal. But it shouldn't be like that. In fact, if singing becomes frustrating or stressful then you may need to check in with yourself and ask why you're doing it.

Auret

I've been singing for my dinner for 20years I think it's a little late to ask why I do it.:cool:

My point was I still practice a lot and I am trying to let the younger singers see it takes a lot of work. And personally if you think you are all that and don't need to practice that hard you probably do. I personally love to practice. And I record it a lot listen back and want to stab myself in the throat for not doing a better job:D

Work doesnt always mean misery. Work is a physics term used to describe an on going action.

In other words, my point was it takes alot of practice whether you enjoy it or not. At times can be frustrating if something just doesnt work out. Unless everything comes natural and on the first try, I doubt that there is no frustration. If you go from one coach to another, its not because you got tired of one coach, its because you see no improvement even though you practice 6 days a week.

In conclusion: ofcourse I enjoy singing. Otherwise, i wouldnt have been so motivated to take mu voice to professional levels. But at times, when something doesnt come out the way its supposed to, it can be frustrating.

Cheers.

i totally relate to what dan is saying..when you reach a certain level of proficiency, incremental gains (whatever you define as a gain) is far and few between and it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. for someone like ken tamplin, maybe it's singing opera, for someone else it's just learning to sustain a note with a polished vibrato.

what if you are a singer that sings well to an audience (meaning they like you and have you high regard) but you aren't happy with your vocals?

this would be a great topic because i still believe there are some folks out there that are being held back because their attitude and mindset prevent further development or they are afraid of their voices, so afraid of developing their voice, of really using their voice fully, that they never get to where they want to.

i agree with dan...it's a lot more than just vocal exercises and singing songs. the reality is a good singer is a dime a dozen....

a truly great singer is a lifetime of joy and struggle.