Lighten the load

Rate this topic

MDEW

but you don't always "have" to lighten fold mass...it depends on what you're singing, the notes you're singing and the way you're singing.

you thin and narrow as you ascend, but i always have an issue with mandatory lightening....not sure if lightening is being misperceived....is lightening the right word?

when i do my full voice scales to high c, do i lighten? no, i'd say i support more and narrow out the vowels. i'm not lightening anything in this case.

but you don't always "have" to lighten fold mass...it depends on what you're singing, the notes you're singing and the way you're singing.

you thin and narrow as you ascend, but i always have an issue with mandatory lightening....not sure if lightening is being misperceived....is lightening the right word?

when i do my full voice scales to high c, do i lighten? no, i'd say i support more and narrow out the vowels. i'm not lightening anything in this case.

I'm thinking on the lines of Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" Ooooooo My My

He may be using a falsetto But either way I'm too heavy? to get the coordination. Can't seem to lighten up or maybe loosen up.

It's not just for this song. Hooty Ooooooo's are good for training higher notes or so I've heard.

Try practicing onsets start with a light "huuuuhhhh" in falsetto, and then gradually lean into it very slightly...listen for a ring, once you hear the slightest bit of that shimmer, stop there and hold it.

I suppose you could vary the vowel as well. But if you're going to use an "oo", open it up a little bit. Make it really hoot, forget about maintaining the vowel and just align the resonance with the pitch; tune it for that strong hooty quality. At a high note like the D5 in that Maybe I'm Amazed part, it will be end up being more like an "OO" as in cook. if you try to exaggerate and close it up into a pure "oo" as in shoe, you'll lose the resonance and feel some tension.

Seems like a good plan to me. My accent leeds me more to a pure "oo". It's these small adjustments that make a difference.