Vocal Range in Exercises vs Songs

Rate this topic

XiaoH

Are you guys able to sing high notes in songs that you can hit in exercises? (for example, you can hit A4 in your exercises and can sing A4 without too much effort in songs)

Currently for me, I am able to hit A4 in sirens/onsets, but am having trouble with G4 in songs ( G4 comes efforlessly in exercises). For example, currently I'm working on Dust in the Wind, and the sections where it goes to G4 (for example: "only for a moment") I would find myself either having falsettoish voice or pushing trying to get more solid tone and end up causing strain. I sing it as ( Uhhhn-lay faaaah aaaa maooment) for vowel modification.

I am just wondering will this just come w/ practice or am I doing something wrong. Thanks

you must devote practise to support, breathing, and breath capacity along with vocal exercises. this song requires support and the ability to seemlessly transition between the registers. also, this song sits right in the break area of the voice where you need the musculatures developed enough to mix really well.

it may be you're not up to this yet. not an easy piece. steve walsh had a really well developed mix. very similar to lou gramm...a lot of power, strong and well connected up high.

one of my all time favorite singers.

there's a very big difference between vocalizing range, and singing range.

The answer to your question - yes. But...I know exactly what you're saying as I've had that problem before - particularly with Journey songs. When learning a song it is natural try to emulate the original singer - his vowel - his weight - his conviction - a lot of times it is different from how you've been practicing, and therein lies the difficulty.

"Dust In The Wind" is a song I recorded (on my web page). "Only for a moment" Steve Walsh sings "Only" in CVT overdrive and he does it in a somewhat 'tight" or "pinched" way. I love the way he sounds so I tried to come as close as possible to the way he does it. It is certainly different from typical exercises. That's where CVT would say practice that mode to master it. With that one you've got to stay in the overdrive mode and support A LOT while you're doing it - that is if you want to sound like Steve Walsh. But you don't have to sing it that way. Gino Vannelli didn't like that approach and had me sing it totally different (also on my web page)

The answer to your question - yes. But...I know exactly what you're saying as I've had that problem before - particularly with Journey songs. When learning a song it is natural try to emulate the original singer - his vowel - his weight - his conviction - a lot of times it is different from how you've been practicing, and therein lies the difficulty.

"Dust In The Wind" is a song I recorded (on my web page). "Only for a moment" Steve Walsh sings "Only" in CVT overdrive and he does it in a somewhat 'tight" or "pinched" way. I love the way he sounds so I tried to come as close as possible to the way he does it. It is certainly different from typical exercises. That's where CVT would say practice that mode to master it. With that one you've got to stay in the overdrive mode and support A LOT while you're doing it - that is if you want to sound like Steve Walsh. But you don't have to sing it that way. Gino Vannelli didn't like that approach and had me sing it totally different (also on my web page)

great points geno...

xiaoh,

if you want to sing really powerfully and strong, you have to exercise that way. not every day, but you have to have days where you push things up a few notches. you can't be afraid of the voice.

what i've learned is the stronger i get my support, the more i can pressurize, the more i can lean, the more i can add dynamics and colors....

i've studied walsh as much as i've studied gramm and he really is a connected vocalist with great skills and a killer ring.

good luck with the song. i'm working on "lonely street" but i just hope after i learn it i have an audience that knows it......lol!!