Terrible Head Voice?

• TMV World Legacy Member

The times that I've sung in head voice, people would tell me that I sound hilarious. It sounds terrible to me too...but I love singing and it's the only way that I can sign my high notes. Recently, I stumbled upon Robert Lunte's video about vowel modifications which really helped me out in my chest voice. I can reach an F#4 now, when before I was struggling with an E4. However, the next note (G4) just sounds flat out terrible. It sounds okay if I push with my chest voice but it sounds flat. If I use my head voice it's....hard to describe. And most of the lyrics that I sing which are on a G4 are really hard to modify into open vowels.

Anyway, that describes my predicament. It would probably be best if you listened to my singing to actually judge.

Before finding Robert's video

Inspired to write a song after finding the video

Just a song that I've been listening to a lot lately

Out of the three, I would say the first one is the worst. But the third one's pretty bad as well...maybe you can tell but I rerecorded a few parts because it just sounded horrible.

What can I do to fix my G4? Most of the notes after it sound pretty good to me...

Thanks in advance,

James

• 2 weeks later...

So I was told I could try covering some songs by Pierce The Veil or Sleeping With Sirens cause of similar voice qualities. Idk how true this is though, I can't sound as good as them :|

But anyway, I tried to cover a certain part of King For a Day, which features both of the singers from the two bands:

The part I sing starts @ about 1:23 in the video.

Here's my try

I want your opinions on whether I can sing similarly and whether I should strive for this style. And if I can, what steps should I take to improve? Would really appreciate any help!

Actually, you sounded good in the "before" clip, so you had a good basis to start from.

I liked your voice in "Hold on til May" but it sounds like you applied autotune or melodyne. Nothing wrong with that. Pro recording engineers autotune everything. Here, however, we avoid autotune with a religious fervor.

As for your cover of "King for a Day," you have the notes. However, right now, you will not sound like the original for 2 reasons. First, your voice sounds different. Second, the commercial release was autotuned. Okay, a third, I think you are singing it quieter than the original. Which is fine, for now. I think you are wise to approach that part of the range carefully, to work on pitch accuracy. Volume and bite will come later.

Here's what you can do to help yourself. Feel the note ring in your head. When you feel that, you will have all the power you need.

Actually, you sounded good in the "before" clip, so you had a good basis to start from.

I liked your voice in "Hold on til May" but it sounds like you applied autotune or melodyne. Nothing wrong with that. Pro recording engineers autotune everything. Here, however, we avoid autotune with a religious fervor.

As for your cover of "King for a Day," you have the notes. However, right now, you will not sound like the original for 2 reasons. First, your voice sounds different. Second, the commercial release was autotuned. Okay, a third, I think you are singing it quieter than the original. Which is fine, for now. I think you are wise to approach that part of the range carefully, to work on pitch accuracy. Volume and bite will come later.

Here's what you can do to help yourself. Feel the note ring in your head. When you feel that, you will have all the power you need.

Hey! Thanks for replying! Oh wow, from previous comments, people have said that the before clip is the worst one :/ I do like the way I sang the last few notes though. I have no idea how to sing the rest of the song like that.

Haha, I dislike autotune as well...which is why I did not use any effects. I think you might think that I used it because on my base run through the song, there were notes that sounded really badly. So I silenced those notes and re-sung them. The mic position and the great difference between my head and chest voice (which is what I'm trying to get help with) must have made it sound like autotune. Sorry about that, should have mentioned it :/ Oh and there's a question about this clip I wanted to ask...I was actually pulling a lot chest voice so it was kinda hard to sing and transition between chest and head. I can go for a smoother transition if I switch to head earlier, but I'm afraid then you won't find the nice voice you like?

Mmm, I only posted it cause people have said I sound similar to them :rolleyes: But I disagreed so I tried to get comments here. I was focusing on adopting a low larynx while singing the first part of the song, which is why it might be quieter. If I don't go for a low larynx, it will be louder, but the note is harder to hit and it hurts...haha yes, so I know the dangers of that and yeah!

This is actually a struggle I have and a question I've always meant to ask but always forget to. I don't think I can really feel resonance while singing. Some low chest notes, sure I can. But as I go higher, I can't seem to feel it. Well, there is a bit of sensation, but I cannot totally grasp it. Sometimes I put my hands around my nose just to feel it. I can feel ringing and resonance if I'm humming...but not singing. Does it have to do with my sinusitis?

Hi there, I have a question about the Hold On Til May song. Is that your original piece? If so, I really like it. The song has great potential. I believe we have to keep doing the things we love because that's how we enjoy life. And if singing is one of them, then life is just so much better! :)

Keep singing and writing!

Oh dear, no! I'm not that good at song writing yet haha! It's a song by Pierce the Veil. Here's the original much better performance :

Yes, sometimes I feel very down because I can't write a good song or I sound really bad on some days..but in the end, I really love doing these two things so I forge on, living a better life.

You too! Let's write beautiful songs :)

Agreed! As for the song, I think you did a good version of it. There is something about what you did made it come off as original and that's great. If you don't write, you should try it. There seems to be a song waiting to be written from you. Looking forward to hearing it! :)

MichelleMelonie

@Michelle Aww, thank you for the compliments! I do write, haha! The second clip in my opening post, titled Anxiety, is written by me. I'm in a band so I'm actually writing a number of songs for us to perform!

I just covered from a small part of a song I love again. I like my take on it, granted the differences in our voices, I think I did a good job. However, every time I think I do good is usually when I really need some critique...so thank you in advance for your help! Anything from whether I shouldn't sing this type of music to tone improval, key changing and all that jazz :)

Coffeeshop Soundtrack cover

Original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMekefHmLVE

Yes, you can get into headvoice sooner, rather than later. It makes some things easier, helps maintain a tone or vocal line throughout a performance and throughout your range. And yes, you can do the song.

And for someone to not like your first recording, that is most likely an opinion of preference because I didn't really hear any technical faults, at least non that you don't already know about. Maybe, for example, you waver on a pitch. Me going on and on and crapping on the whole performance for one pitch wobble would be overkill and unnecessary. You can't please everyone. In fact, most opinions are based on a sound ideal or preference rather than on technical issues.

Like I said, you have a good basis to start from. Just keep working at it.

Hmmm, I guess you're right about the preference thing. I myself dislike my 'sound'.

Alright, I will try to achieve that 'ringing in head' thing that you mentioned!

One last question : If I continue working with my voice, would I eventually be able to achieve a more masculine voice? Or would I just end up with a more powerful version of my current voice? It's a weird question, I know. Just that I've heard some people's singing voice go either deeper or lighter as they aged. Not sure if this is something natural or just a different technique adoption of said singers.

Thanks for the great help you've given!

One last question : If I continue working with my voice, would I eventually be able to achieve a more masculine voice? Or would I just end up with a more powerful version of my current voice?

Let me answer the second question first. Yes, you wil develope a more powerful version of your voice, without a doubt. No question, really.

First question, I may be the wrong person to ask. I already sound like a woman. But it's cool, though. I think it's a neat gimmick, for me. I look like a biker and sound like a woman. I could just imagine being in costume like GWAR, and busting out with "Ave, Maria," which I always morph into "Black Dog" by Led Zep.

Always keep them guessing.

I should email you a link of my girly voice.

Mmmm, I suppose I should get used to my voice and just accept its awesomeness in its own ways, huh? I guess my judgment on my voice is heavily clouded and influenced by criticism by a lot of people who have made fun of it. I guess I just won't be able to be the frontman of my band with the quality voice. Better get to mastering guitar then ._.

I listened to the clip and this is probably the first time I heard someone else whose chest voice and head voice sound so different. Well, more like when I hear your chest voice, I don't expect your head voice to be like that. Yay for finding relativity!

Really, thanks for all the words and advises. Really appreciate it!