Took the plunge! I bought Pillars...

Rate this topic

Iridal

So, I've been taking voice lessons for about a year now, although more dedicated over the last six months, and its been a classical style. I haven't been singing opera, but the teacher is an opera singer, and the songs we've practiced on have been old show tunes that use that high soprano operatic type of singing. I've always known I had a head voice and even been able to use it to some extent, but the #1 gain I've seen from these classes is gaining strength with that part of my voice, and therefor more useable range. The other big gain has been endurance, and being able to tell less of a difference between my two registers, but I do still have a break.

Just a few weeks ago, I deployed (I'm in the military), so I've concluded the classical classes. I was going to keep doing my exercises from my training, but.... well, I don't want to be an opera singer. I've had some good gains, but every classical singer I've met, when they sing a rock or pop song, they still sound like an opera singer. I'm very thankful for what I was able to improve thus far, but maybe I've been studying the wrong stuff for my goals.

Well, I just purchased "Pillars". Hopefully I can get that flexible, strong, soulful range I just know is inside me waiting to come out.... ;) I'd like to think that with proper technique you can sing many styles, but I don't want to become too one sided. As an analogy, I used to be a dancer, and while ballet was a great form and a foundation for many other styles, if you didn't study hip-hop, you weren't going to be able to do it. But... with dedication, I was able to study and do both. I may go back to my classical teacher when I get home and I do plan on continuing those styles of exercises as well, but maybe "Pillars" can provide the counter point I'm looking for!

Wish me luck. :) Oh, and hopefully you guys deliver to APO... otherwise, my sister is going to have to forward it to me when she gets it... so I won't get it until Christmas probably. I signed up for the digital download as well, but our bandwidth is super slow too so it'll be a few days hahahaha!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What part about what I said implied I wasn't interested doing the work? I had no choice but to leave my instructor.... I came up on orders.

Sorry, rubbed me wrong... I feel like I put all sorts of other info in there and I'm not sure why that became the point picked on. Kinda disheartening. :(

Hehe, Iridal, Chill out ;)

I think Bob, (Videohere) was just throwing it as a general tip to me, you, and whoever else wants to get to his goals.

Simply saying that in order to meet our goal, we need to work hard, put it all in (no point intended) in order to make it happen. :cool:

Right?

• Administrator

Hey Robert.

I am pedal to the metal now.

"Dont stop me now, cause I am having a good time, having a good time, dont want to stop at all". :)

T-H-A-N-K-S!

GIL , I JUST LISTENED TO THE SIREN SAMPLE YOU SENT ME.. DUDE!? :cool: YOUR DOING GREAT! MUCH LESS SQUIRRELY ON THE ONSETS AND YOUR FORMANT TUNING IS REALLY COMING TOGETHER... BUT YOUR NOT DONE YET... YOUR WINNING, BUT YOU NEED MORE 'RUB - A- DUB' INTO THE MUSCLE MEMORY... KEEP CHOPPING... SEE MY EMAIL...

THIS RECENT AUDIO REVIEW SHOWED GREAT PROGRESS.

COOL!

that's right gil, i was just trying to help. rob has a good program. but folks will say i used such and such a program and it never worked...

it's all about what you do with it.....remember the d.i.y. way at times will take more time to get things right.

• Administrator

So, I've been taking voice lessons for about a year now, although more dedicated over the last six months, and its been a classical style. I haven't been singing opera, but the teacher is an opera singer, and the songs we've practiced on have been old show tunes that use that high soprano operatic type of singing. I've always known I had a head voice and even been able to use it to some extent, but the #1 gain I've seen from these classes is gaining strength with that part of my voice, and therefor more useable range. The other big gain has been endurance, and being able to tell less of a difference between my two registers, but I do still have a break.

Just a few weeks ago, I deployed (I'm in the military), so I've concluded the classical classes. I was going to keep doing my exercises from my training, but.... well, I don't want to be an opera singer. I've had some good gains, but every classical singer I've met, when they sing a rock or pop song, they still sound like an opera singer. I'm very thankful for what I was able to improve thus far, but maybe I've been studying the wrong stuff for my goals.

Well, I just purchased "Pillars". Hopefully I can get that flexible, strong, soulful range I just know is inside me waiting to come out.... ;) I'd like to think that with proper technique you can sing many styles, but I don't want to become too one sided. As an analogy, I used to be a dancer, and while ballet was a great form and a foundation for many other styles, if you didn't study hip-hop, you weren't going to be able to do it. But... with dedication, I was able to study and do both. I may go back to my classical teacher when I get home and I do plan on continuing those styles of exercises as well, but maybe "Pillars" can provide the counter point I'm looking for!

Wish me luck. :) Oh, and hopefully you guys deliver to APO... otherwise, my sister is going to have to forward it to me when she gets it... so I won't get it until Christmas probably. I signed up for the digital download as well, but our bandwidth is super slow too so it'll be a few days hahahaha!

Hi Irida!

Welcome to The Vocalist Studio!

Sorry to keep you waiting, my email and phone is blowing up... Im buried in students seeking help... but glad I got a chance to get to you here... Don't mind Bob, he really knows what he is talking about and this is just tough love from him, he wants to help you. He is just reminding you to practice, that's the jist of it...

So I read your post...

- Yes, a hard core classical teacher and/or training is going to make you sound ... Classical... and make no mistake, the Classical sound not only sounds different, but it requires different coordinations of the voice, vocal tract, etc... so its no wonder that so many people that are training with Classical oriented coaches are getting no where in pop/rock music. This 'disconnect' between the excessive inventory of Classical teachers vs the excessively high percentage of students that don't want to train Classical is very big problem in our industry. Fortunately for you, you no longer have THAT problem... you made a good choice with Pillars... and it will provide a counter-point for you per se... I think more then just that... its a huge training system and goes into a lot of depth.

The first thing you need to do with your copy of "The Four Pillars of Singing" is dig into that "TVS warm up & foundation building routine", phase 1 of the training routine... you are welcome to send me a file of you practicing that for review as I try to make myself available to as many clients as I can, when I can for feedback.

You are one of the first clients to get the new cool, 'Training Media Interface'? ...( as of tomorrow , we'll be offering "Pillars" on flash drives too... with the TMI on it).

Anyways... thanks for your service btw and Ill be sure to give you extra special care. when you get everything downloaded and the TMI launched and working... and you are reading the book, watching the lectures and beginning with the "... foundation building" , phase 1 routine... send me a personal email so i can help you.

Robert Lunte

Robert,

I'll be sure to let you know when I get it all set up. I'd love to send you a recording... not sure if my situation here will make that an easy task! ;) I'll try my best though.

I really hope I can make this work! This entire sudden break in the middle of my voice thing is just frustrating me, and not knowing what note to place where when... yeah, at my wit's end.

• Administrator

... well, honestly, you couldn't have a better program in your hands for self study... that is to say if it becomes difficult to take internet lessons with me and such... you can put all the content on your iPod, watch the lectures, watch me demonstrate the 40 workouts, and all the audio files and ebook... its all there in electronic format in the new 'Training Media Interface' or just good old fashioned raw files...

How long have you had the system? Are you using the new TMI?

Robert, you meant Calibrating the onset package, not the sirens :)

Guys, I am just in the first month of the Pillars program, but I think its about time to acknowledge Maestro Robert.

He is there for you 24/7. He really is putting all the effort and dedication to make you succeed in the program! He has been nothing but helpful to me, and very motivating. During the Skype lesson, he wasn't looking at his watch to stop the lesson at the hour point, and it went beyond the hour, and he didn't care. From what I have seen so far, he really does want his students to succeed in his program, and he really, but really believes in his system. its a huge plus.

Thank you very much for everything Maestro Rob!

P.S.

Sorry for my broken english :cool:

Robert, I just purchased yesterday.... and with my slow bandwidth... it's gonna take me until the weekend at least to get it downloaded. This morning I was at a stunning 10% complete!!!! So I haven't even started yet.

I'm looking forward to it though. I had a teacher awhile back try to push me to belt past an A4 and I lost my voice for a few days... :( Since then I've been working on head voice strength and I try to just sing where its comfortable, but I to make this more manageable and understand exactly when to switch between the two, how to transition comfortably, etc. I just don't feel that topping out at an A4 as your highest powerful note is acceptable... hope I can get more. But right now I'm at the mercy of worse-than-DSL. ;)

• Administrator

Robert, I just purchased yesterday.... and with my slow bandwidth... it's gonna take me until the weekend at least to get it downloaded. This morning I was at a stunning 10% complete!!!! So I haven't even started yet.

I'm looking forward to it though. I had a teacher awhile back try to push me to belt past an A4 and I lost my voice for a few days... :( Since then I've been working on head voice strength and I try to just sing where its comfortable, but I to make this more manageable and understand exactly when to switch between the two, how to transition comfortably, etc. I just don't feel that topping out at an A4 as your highest powerful note is acceptable... hope I can get more. But right now I'm at the mercy of worse-than-DSL. ;)

A teacher that tried to tell you to belt past A4? :rolleyes: And you guys wonder why I don't have any time to sleep... with coaches like that out there, there are plenty of people to help. However, you can create a 'belt-like' sound at A4 and work some of the same musculature ... and we can go over that, a pure belt by the definition of it being high chest voice.. would be an error and dangerous to your vocal health.

A teacher that tried to tell you to belt past A4? :rolleyes: And you guys wonder why I don't have any time to sleep... with coaches like that out there, there are plenty of people to help. However, you can create a 'belt-like' sound at A4 and work some of the same musculature ... and we can go over that, a pure belt by the definition of it being high chest voice.. would be an error and dangerous to your vocal health.

Yeahhhhhhhhh....... well, I guess at least now I get the vindication of knowing that I was right to say I wouldn't do it again? Hahaha... instead I've been doing all "chest" or all "head", and while the head tones are sounding stronger, its still very much a light switch feeling between the two for me.

Looking forward to getting started!

Can't wait... 20% downloaded! Woohoo!!

You know, I've noticed something... the majority of the people who post here as regulars are guys.... are there just not as many girls interested in getting better? Or just not interested in talking? (Because the latter would be, you know, super unusual... ;))

Howdy, Iridal. Welcome to the forum and you are getting a great program. No, I am not a spokesman for 4 Pillars, I gain nothing from recommending it. It is the most similar to the classical techniques I have studied that have also helped me. And no, I don't sing opera, either.

And I, too, notice that the majority of members are male. And most of them are into heavy metal and hard rock styles. That's just the way it is. We have one young lady that does art songs, arias, and a few show tunes. We had a country singer, for a while.

Rychemaiden, who has not posted in a while, is a woman and she sings hard rock, etc. I have not yet determined why not many women belong to the forum. However, if you go to the social network section ( what I used to call the main page) you will find many female singers. All you have to do is register with your email and a password of your choosing. It's like setting up a facebook page but it is dedicated to your music and singing. Adolph Namlik, one of our admins, is the chief cook and bottle washer of all this stuff. And if you have an actual video, he is key in getting it highlighted as video of the week.

Can't wait... 20% downloaded! Woohoo!!

You know, I've noticed something... the majority of the people who post here as regulars are guys.... are there just not as many girls interested in getting better? Or just not interested in talking? (Because the latter would be, you know, super unusual... ;))

I could be totally wrong here, but perhaps it is so that male singers are more troubled?

* I think that there are less male voice coaches, most are females. Thus easier for females to get help IRL?

* Females don't break during puberty, allowing them to continue with whatever technique they had before

* Genres where there are predominately males are more technical (such as hard rock)

* Male tenor (low tenor) voice sings a lot in passagio, not sure if this applies to females.

* If a forum feels "male", perhaps females stay away?

I currently am in a state where I feel a little confused, and I haven't found proper teachers in my town that can help me. And then there is the internet. Go figure!

When it comes to belting A4, the harm of that depends on what you mean by belting.

CVT claims that overdrive is safe up until C5 if done correctly. I certainly never got any problems doing that at A4, if I do it correctly. If I want to go higher I need to twang a lot to enter what CVT calls "edge". However you really need a teacher to help you avoid doing this wrong. If you do it incorrectly, then you will be hurt. I try to stay away from it nowadays, but it never hurt. That is something to always remember when reading on the internet; someone might be right, but they mean something else than what you think they mean. Be careful!

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm no CVT advocate and I'd like to add that only because they say it is safe, I don't know if that is true. I just happen to have the book and identified what my coach taught me seems to be overdrive in retrospect. (Yes I did find one good female coach that helped me a lot, she was awesome but she's not teaching private students anymore).

Story of life, right, never enough women to make the party fun?! :-P

Breakin, I agree and disagree... or maybe its just my experience and where I've lived... but I find way more male coaches than female for some reason. I also don't think the no break in puberty thing holds for everyone, only if you sang through your "transition". I didn't, so I didn't have a technique to hold on to at all. I also don't see how hard rock is more technical, its just different, and to top it off I feel the industry is more forgiving to men with a limited range than it is to women. I think media is much harsher on women to be "perfect", gotta look the part and sing like crazy. Sure we can find examples of extremes on both ends, but I see a lot more guys getting away with a limited range and sub-par vocals than women. Males may sing the passagio, but girls that top out at where I do won't make it far, so I don't see that as harder on men, just a different challenge.

I also don't know what overdrive is, but belting as that one instructor was trying to do it really just resulted in yelling to get the note and it hurt. So yeah, didn't do that again. ;) For me, a C5 is my "head voice". I feel that "switch" pretty dramatically. I hesitate to say "head voice" because it doesn't sound hooty, I can get it to not sound opera like, but its still using those muscles and only those as far as I can tell. A4 I can sing in my chest, but sometimes it sounds better to let it flip. There doesn't seem to be any mixing or cooperation between the muscle groups for me. It feels like one or the other, even if the "head" part I can get to sound a bit fuller these days. I don't get how other girls do it. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this, but I guess I'm gonna try.