TVS Teacher - Randy Loran - Sings "LIGHTS" - INCREDIBLE!

Rate this topic

Robert Lunte

• Administrator

Hey TMV World Forum Athletes... here is my best friend, student and TVS Certified Instructor, Randy Loran singing "Lights" from Journey... This is in fact, 1 live take, no over-dubs... straight into the DAW last night in my studio in Seattle. Also, I might ad, he had a cold and his headphones were only playing in the left ear... ?!

This is so good its sick... wow.

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/shared/static/rc1vsn5870xbqjwj9v2w.mp3

If you guys have any questions about this, let me know, or feel free to contact Randy on FB.

Hey TMV World Forum Athletes... here is my best friend, student and TVS Certified Instructor, Randy Loran singing "Lights" from Journey... This is in fact, 1 live take, no over-dubs... straight into the DAW last night in my studio in Seattle. Also, I might ad, he had a cold and his headphones were only playing in the left ear... ?!

This is so good its sick... wow.

https://thevocaliststudio.box.com/shared/static/rc1vsn5870xbqjwj9v2w.mp3

If you guys have any questions about this, let me know, or feel free to contact Randy on FB.

Very nice singing!

I remember some people talking about if Steve Perry uses "light mass" or "medium mass" onset/phonation. Ignoring Steve Perry, what is used here? (primarily). What kind of volume is generated while singing this?

Cool!

Awesome, Randy.

For Breakin, it sounded like medium mass to me, as Randy has a heavier voice. In fact, normally, he sounds like a twin of Geoff Tate. However, here, it sounds like he is using medium mass and narrower vowels.

Awesome, Randy.

For Breakin, it sounded like medium mass to me, as Randy has a heavier voice. In fact, normally, he sounds like a twin of Geoff Tate. However, here, it sounds like he is using medium mass and narrower vowels.

* Do you mean that, since Randy sounds heavier here than Steve Perry in the same song, he uses medium mass? (Implying Steve Perry uses light mass)

* Or because he has a heavier voice he needs to use medium mass to sound similar to Steve Perry using light mass (Steve being a tenor)?

* Something else.

The second statement seems weird, just double-checking so I haven't misunderstood something! I think the true answer is in what you said; Medium mass with narrow vowels.

• Administrator

Very nice singing!

I remember some people talking about if Steve Perry uses "light mass" or "medium mass" onset/phonation. Ignoring Steve Perry, what is used here? (primarily). What kind of volume is generated while singing this?

Cool!

Id say "light' to 'medium' light mass... this kind of singing 'floats' more... it leans to the lighter side, generally speaking.

• Administrator

Robert, how taxing (tiring) was it for Randy to sing this song?

Keith, physically, not much... but I think mental focus, it is a major league endeavor. He has trained with me for about 6 years.

Ill invite Randy in and see if he can leave some comments and answer questions for you guys...

How are you doing Keith?

• 2 weeks later...