Just hit an E6!

Rate this topic

Nicogratouille

So, yesterday morning I was fiddling with my voice and suddenly I hit some very high notes. Here's an E6 I recorded. It's hard to tell on the recording, but the sound is actually very small.

https://www.box.com/s/nyduly9vbxrxivoeavul

My questions are:

- Is it healthy? (It certainly did not feel bad in my throat)

- If I practice my very high range (G5 and up), will it get stronger?

- Are there other benefits in practicing this?

- Will this also make my upper range (G4 - G5) better?

- Will it improve my overall agility and pitch control?

Nick

Personally, my weakest area are the high notes. Falsetto is like the neglected child. The high notes will teach you something that the low notes can never teach you! You are operating on the thin-edge of the vocal folds. Do not be afraid to train the high notes, you may never use an E6 in actual singing but I think it's awesome that you can hit that note =) Good luck with training. If it hurts your throat stop, try again later.

Sorry, I'm not too technical, but I feel like my throat is completely relaxed and I just squeak up there. I open my mouth wide and drop my jaw and say "ah" (at least, I think it was "ah"). It's the same kind of sound as when you do staccato ah's on a scale for thin edge function, if you ever tried that?

I think that what I did was a false fold sound. Not a normal production of a note and bad for the voice.

I do not want to give a description of what I did for fear that others would try it and hurt themselves. It felt healthy at the time but I noticed regular production of notes suffered after I did it.

Nicogratouille,

How long have you been doing vocal training before you got that note? I am asking, as I wonder if it happens after a while. If it did happen all of a sudden after a while, it just means that range really can be increased. What is your range before you got that note? Mine is E2 to E5. WOuld be interesting to know.

Thanks

Hi Gilad,

I've been singing seriously for a couple of years now. My lowest note ever is F#2 and highest note I've sung in full connected voice is B5, but my very highest and lowest notes are not very consistent.

You should be able to "increase" your range, no problem. But if you already have a nice and reliable E2 - E5 range with good control over the notes, dynamic levels, good tone, etc... you don't need more notes, really :)

Nick

congrats mate youve just found your whistleregister

1. yes it's healthy, but it's a new configuration you found so dont rush it

2. No not really, it's not dependant on your G5 and upwards range it's an kindo unique configuration up there. But it can be made easyer if you do the g5 and upwarsds hootyer and smaller

3. you can make high noise and piss of highsopranos/scare dogs and get less girls

4. no, to improve overallagility and pitchcontrol you should do exercises aimed for that :)

Cheers :)

5.no not really

That was awesome, Nico. It's higher than I can sing. I can get to C6 in full voice and I don;t have a whistle register. And yeah, maybe one doesn't use that note often in singing but what a cool thing to do, even as an effect or sound to fit in somewhere, just for grins and giggles.

Nico: The fact that I can sing from E2 to E5 doesn't mean I have vibrato or any kind of fineness up in the 5's.. That is what I really want to achieve. I want to be able to do vibrato in the c5's and up. I dont need higher then E5, you are absolutely right.

Funny. While writing this post, decided to check if i can sing throughout my range. Using the piano, i now noticed i can sing through F5 :). I can sing from E2. When I say sing, i dont mean words. I mean La La La, and ah ah ah. Made up a melody that goes threw the whole range. Ill have to try singing words and see if I can.

Here is a clip of it. Might be falsetto? (Although I don't feel it as being airy at all)

http://soundcloud.com/user206400908/f5/s-wBu5v