Breath control / cord closure

Rate this topic

Erkki

Hello!

I've sang for a long time more and less actively (I'm an amateur singer), and I'm pretty satisfied with my chest voice. However, I used to become tired after singing, because I "pushed" my voice on higher notes. I did some googling, and found out, that I hadn't used my head voice at all (although the names of the registers were familiar, I didn't really know what they meant). Now I've done some practising, and I can access my head voice by "jumping" to it quite easily. I still find it difficult to switch to head voice when doing arpeggios.

Here's my problem: I can sing on my mid-low chest voice or high head voice with good tone, but in my bridge area my tone gets breathy. That includes the higher part of my chest voice and lower part of my head voice. It may be caused by lacking breath support or cord closure, but I don't know which. The question is, how should I practise? I've considered getting a vocal coach, but it's difficult to find one where I live.

Thank you for any advice!

Thanks for your reply! I know it would be best to find a teacher, and I'm trying to do so. I also got a flu a bit after writing that message, that probably also affected my singing although there were no symptoms yet.

Singing is fine muscle coordination while an unimpeded breath is applied.

If you want to fix your breath, sing the word "me" in your low notes with a completely relaxed voice, which includes relaxing your mouth,throat, and chest. You should feel an open sensation in breathing, which can then be applied to the rest of your voice.

The hard part is training your muscles. Head voice allows you to hit notes but lacks power, while chest voice adds power to your tone but doesn't allow your range to expand. Too much chest and your cords will crack open, and too much head voice and your voice will sound weak but you will be able to hit notes.

So, if you think you lack head voice as you go higher in your chest voice, then focus on blending in head voice resonance. Especially from your 1st to 2nd octave, focus on shifting the voice from chesty sustain, to a lighter and more heady sustain. You may sound weak and breathy while doing this, but you will be training most needed vocal coordination.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that's some great advice. Now that my flu is mostly over, I've been able to sing a bit more again.

I found a video about connecting chest and head voice, and realized that I had been doing what the guy in the vid calls "falsetto slide" (0:37). That's why it feels like I have a "weaker spot" in between the registers.

I guess I'll keep on doing the excercise that was shown on the vid. I'd also like to hear if there are some other excercises on connecting head and chest voice. Does working top down help?

One more thing that I have noticed is that After I do excercises, or sing high, it becomes more and more difficult to connect vocal cords, and my tone becomes breathy. What could cause that? Is it normal, because I'm not used to sing high yet? Or is it more likely that I practise with wrong technique?