No Vibrato

Rate this topic

DoverOs

I lost my vibrato in classical singing. After I learned to breath properly, my vibrato has diminished. Before I would invoke vibrato in my chest, which was a slightly wobbly, and with enough warm up it would sustain itself slightly. Now that I'm breathing correctly, the vibrato has stopped being wobbly, but it is extremely small sounding, and after about 10 minutes of singing it is bypassed by a straight tone and straight breath.

So whatever I am doing now to my vocal cords is not helping, and what I was doing before wasn't working either. How do I fix it.

There are different types of vibrato. One would be a variation in dynamics or volume. The other a variation in pitch. One involves the diaphragm the other involves the larynx. When they happen naturally it is because of a balance of musculatures, resonance or pressures.

You can manually create a vibrato but it sounds a lot better if you allow it to happen.

dover,

vibrato comes naturally to some, but for most it is something that needs to be developed over time and practised. it's best acheived when the there is an absence of tention in the vocal tract. the secret is to allow it to happen...don't try in induce it or contrive it...you'll end up in a bad habit and a contrived mechanical sound.

work it in the lower range to start, because you have more chance of experiencing it.

Dover: What would you recommend for me to develop vibrato in the highs. I have a nice natural vibrato in the low notes, but once i reach the high part of my head voice, it requires me to force vibrato, and it doesn't sound good, and not consistent. I really want the vibrato to develop in the high notes.

Dover, it would be nice to hear a clip of you singing in order to hear what you are talking about. We do not hear ourselves the way others hear us.

It's like doing surgery by talking through soup cans with a string between them.

dover,

vibrato comes naturally to some, but for most it is something that needs to be developed over time and practised. it's best acheived when the there is an absence of tention in the vocal tract. the secret is to allow it to happen...don't try in induce it or contrive it...you'll end up in a bad habit and a contrived mechanical sound.

work it in the lower range to start, because you have more chance of experiencing it.

Ya I get it. I lost the ability to induce it anyway, so letting it come naturally seems like the only way.

Dover: What would you recommend for me to develop vibrato in the highs. I have a nice natural vibrato in the low notes, but once i reach the high part of my head voice, it requires me to force vibrato, and it doesn't sound good, and not consistent. I really want the vibrato to develop in the high notes.

I'm not sure exactly since i'm still learning it myself, but I can still make vibrato in my pop/normal voice to a certain degree. All I can tell when listening to other singers, is that the voice just has to keep relaxing and opening, or the head voice has to be brought down to make vibrating space easier.

Rach, vibrato is hapenning through all the clip in much smaller degree, but its there. On the last "money" note as you say, he holds it on place through tensions and release it, he evens gradually cover more the note and results in vibrato.

The difference in skill is exactly having the choice to release more or less as you will. You apply tensions rather than having them all the time. The more you go into spoken quality, the more effort and tension you must use, INO lowering the placement, you know that as well as I do.

Now if someone is saying that he can not produce vibrato, what is the problem? Please, Anthony Warlow does not have this issue, he is making choices, a very different situation.

I have a related question. If vibrato happens naturaly when things are balanced, could a person use vibrato to help strengthen balance in other areas of the voice that he/she is having problems with?

Understood. There are songs I sing that the vibrato happens and I do not do any thing to get it started. For me usually Lower voice and quiet. Like "How Great Thou Art".

I was not meaning to try to initiate it to balance things.

But I do understand that if you try to initiate it, it can cause other tensions.

Can you guys comment on my vibrato. It feels forced. I dont know how it can become natural. Especially in the high range.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

http://soundcloud.com/user206400908/my-vibrato/s-njrjk

wow that sounds great and connected and much more vibrato than I normally hear used in extreme cases. Can you do that while adding more power too?

Can you guys comment on my vibrato. It feels forced. I dont know how it can become natural. Especially in the high range.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

http://soundcloud.com/user206400908/my-vibrato/s-njrjk

Sounds good. It doesnt sound forced. If it feels forced you need to practice to try and reduce tension. Any tension you feel should be in the abs only. If you let the abs do the work your voice will free up and the vibrato will come without effort.

Thanks man! But I d'ont think it sounds great. Its not consistent, and sounds forced as well as is forced. From what I have been reading all over the net, it should come natural. My question should it come by itself once I release the tension since I do have more tension up in the highs.

Dover, try hold the tone a bit longer so we can hear the vibrato more. What I feel I am doing when i am doing the vibrato is like a kid does when he imitates a car starter. Try it.

(Unless you guys thing its the wrong technique for vibrato)

http://www.mediafire.com/?hu74qkn5vwmhuv2 try this one, however I'm not trying to sing too loud because it's late.

@gilad, ok, maybe we give you too much credit. But you don't sound too bad off. Knowing a high tenor who can get chest dominant vibrato up to e5, you don't sound a whole lot different, and a high a4 isn't bad off at all. The vibrato in this tenor guy's voice still sounds like it is invoked and has that sort of released sound.

And I can't answer your question on the tension thing.