Just started Pillars, have some questions about bridging :)

Rate this topic

Iridal

Ok finally got in to the material last night, and so far I'm pleased! I have a couple questions about things that weren't clear to me, I want to be sure I'm doing this right. :)

1. In one of the early videos, we are instructed to sing to the passagio then flip to our head voice and continue the exercise. But in the instructions to bridge the passagio in the book, we're told the secret is to bridge early... so what should I be practicing when I do the exercises? I consider the top of my chest range to be an A4, because I can hit that note without real strain, but it could go either way for me. I understand that bridging late should be avoided early on, but is singing up to the A4 in chest considered "late"? Should I bridge before that or on the Bb4 after? And if I'm going early, how much earlier? Sorry, I don't mean to sound nitpicky, I just want to be sure I practice and reenforce the right things!

2. Should I make a conscious decision to always sing that note in a particular register? So, if I bridge early and sing that A4 in my head voice in practice, should I ALWAYS sing an A4 in my head voice? What if that is the highest note in the song anyway, still bridge for that one note? I want to form good habits. :)

3. Last question....so A4 is the last note I can sing in chest without really straining... but I can carry the feeling of head voice down lower than that. Is it that my head voice can go lower or am I just fooling myself by resonating my chest voice differently? Why is that anyway?

Oh and judging by the material, A4 is kinda low for a girl isn't it? :(

• Administrator

Pam,

1. No.. I have never told anyone in my entire history of singing to "flip" to your head voice? You misunderstood something.

The "secret" for a raw beginner, or best practice is to bridge early. (Other people, this is my student, do not jump in here and start talking about bridging late with musculature requirements please... your not voice teachers and this is a beginner).

As the instructions tell you in the download document you received, in the introduction video that was provided and "Phase 2" in the back of the book under "The TVS Training Routine"... you begin with the "TVS Warm Up & Foundation Building Routine"... it is clearly stated in numerous places and in numerous ways. DO THIS and only this... in addition to reading the book and watching the videos.... go to the back of the book and follow the program.

2. You want to form good habits? Follow the instructions in the back of the book titled, "The TVS Training Routine"... for now stop worrying about what your doing to with the not A4? Start practicing the Phase 2 of the routine.

3. It doesn't really matter... at this point. This is a pointless concern at the moment... please go to the back of the book and begin training Phase 2 of the "TVS Warm Up & Foundation Building Routine".

Anyone else that would like to help here , its fine... but just don't confuse my student with a bunch of talk-track from other programs and going into tangents with advanced subject matter.. thanks ahead of time.

... and no, A4 is not a low note for women, it is a high belt.. in any case, not sure why that would merit a frowny face? Pam, the best people you can speak to other then myself, are Owen & Gina... both are TVS students that have been into the program now for about 3-6 months...

Gina, Owen, can you duck in here?

Rob I was gonna say the same about the A4 and to forget this thing about "late bridge" completely. But even that I figured it was best to leave for you guys.

Iridal. By all means follow the instruction you are receiving precisely, dont try to mix in anything others or even myself said on other situations, its dangerous.In fact, if I may, since I am not directly involved, book some sessions and get all these doubts solved.

GL!

• Administrator

Thanks Felipe... good advise... I want to be clear... I want people to chime in and help and share ideas, just be contentious of two things; 1). don't mix talk-track from other programs & 2). don't start talking about how you can train to belt C5s and stuff like that... its not for beginners.

Pam we are not patronizing you here... we are looking after you...

Pam you are in good hands, as previous speakers said when you start out it's great to bridge early as that will get you out of old habits and reinforce your voice into this new coordination(head).

A4 is not low for a girl so stop worrying about that, just follow the program and range will be your least concern.

Also remember this is the start on you building your voice, so stop worrying about songs or how to hit a certain passage until atleast youve gotten into the technique for some months it will make alot more sense then.

TVS is in my mind one of the fastest programs when it comes to getting results and improvement, patience is still needed and make sure you dont rush things.

My best tip is get lessons from lunte as early as possible, he will set you in on the routine and make sure you startout right, those first lessons are the most important and most bang for the buck youll ever get :)

Sorry, I thought I was following the instructions, everything I quoted came from the book and video... I just didn't understand.... I swear I did review a lot of the material before I posted. :-/ I tend to be analytical and get mixed up sometimes, I'll try to keep it simple.... I probably over-focused on some of the overview and got mixed up.

Jens, unfortunately I can't do lessons from my deployed location. The Skype ports are blocked to preserve bandwidth. :(

I too agree with Jens.

Give yourself a few days or a week to start building your foundation, then do a Skype lesson with Robert so that you know you are on the right track. He will show you the right path. Besides that, you will enjoy every moment of your one on one session with Rob.

Good luck Iridal.

well dont worry, it all depends on what video you watched some of the scales have intervall wich requires you to jump up into headvoice as such perhaps it was one of those you viewed.

Anyways what the idea is to cut back and make the bridge seamless so you dont flip :)

this forum is the next best thing you can get to skypelessons with lunte just keep us posted with your questions and well help you out.

Just listen to the examples and do the exercises, great musclememory will follow. bridgeing early is the fastest way to get good results you dont want to be near your limit while you bridge, you want to bridge where it's easyest for your voice.

Thats why you should start your bridgeing early to get away from that "push" your voice gets when you pull your chest higher, cause that push will limit your progress with head and bridgeing seamlessly

Ok I guess that's a bad use of a word on my part... ;) I don't mean to "flip" in an audible fashion, I know we're trying to avoid that. But physically at this early point in training I am aware of the transition, that its happening in my throat, that is what I mean. I'm super aware of it if I sing up that high. I just misunderstood one of the early videos about singing to the passagio before transitioning. I interpreted that as literally right to it, but I'll focus on earlier.

Worth noting that my head voice isn't completely atrophied, I had been using it quite a bit in my other classical lessons, and I was already leaning towards naturally wanting to bridge earlier the the stronger it got anyway. I just wanted to be sure I was interpreting this properly.

Again I'm sorry, I guess I need a lot of direction. I'm too... analytical, or literal, or something that gets me lost in my head sometimes. I know its annoying, I can only imagine how my first power systems professor felt trying endlessly to explain induction generation to me before that finally clicked... that guy is a saint.

Owen - thanks. That helps a lot. Considering how much trouble I got in to pulling my chest higher in the past (at the request of a pretty bad teacher) I have no real desire to even attempt to bridge super late this early in the game. I don't gain anything from a shouty belt. Actually, I'm not afraid of my head voice at all, I can get pretty high up there in head voice and with decent volume, even to whistle, although it doesn't sound very pretty yet hahaha. I just know the classical route isn't for me so I'm changing tracks, but the 8 months or so I spent there did leave me with a few lessons and some strength.

I just want to be sure I was understanding the lesson properly since I can't take face-to-face lessons yet, and you guys have helped clear that up for me. Thank you. :)

• Administrator

Pam you are in good hands, as previous speakers said when you start out it's great to bridge early as that will get you out of old habits and reinforce your voice into this new coordination(head).

A4 is not low for a girl so stop worrying about that, just follow the program and range will be your least concern.

Also remember this is the start on you building your voice, so stop worrying about songs or how to hit a certain passage until atleast youve gotten into the technique for some months it will make alot more sense then.

TVS is in my mind one of the fastest programs when it comes to getting results and improvement, patience is still needed and make sure you dont rush things.

My best tip is get lessons from lunte as early as possible, he will set you in on the routine and make sure you startout right, those first lessons are the most important and most bang for the buck youll ever get :)

I really could not have said it better myself... thank you Jens, I appreciate your help in mentoring our student. A word about Jens... He is really 'pro' about vocal technique. He has been doing this for a LONG time and has studied with different programs and really knows his shit. I, in fact, have several ideas I share with students around the world that were inspired by Jens as we have gotten to know each other... and the dude has vocal chops too and can demonstrate and lay it down with the best of us. I have also found Jens to be very balanced and objective about his posts through the years.

If Jens says its good or gives you advise... listen... because this is one singing Swede that has credibility in my play book. :cool:

• Administrator

Thanks Owen... another of my students that has been doing this for 8 months and is really working hard and getting some pay off... I thought it would be good to get his feedback for you Pam because he has recently worked through a lot of this... from the perspective of a newer student... but listen, I want you to send me questions too... Of course I am your first point of contact.

Hey Pam. Everyone has said all of the important things but just wanted to re-assure you from a female perspective that A4 isn't low for a beginner. A number of years ago when I first started singing before I was at college I was only able to 'belt' an Ab4, my head voice was weak and wimpy but you can build on that. It takes time and patience and of course practice but it slowly increases. Now I can 'belt' an E5 / F5 (on good days!) But they are head voice notes that just have chest qualities. You will find in time that the same happens to you. It's obviously really helpful to know where your break is but don't listen, feel it. You'll feel when it's approaching and when you need to transition into your head voice and bridge earlier if you have any doughts because those weak and wimpy head notes can be transformed into notes that SOUND like chesty belts using good technique. The foundation for that is bridging early. Keep following the four pillars and practicing and i'll bite my own arm off if you don't start to see improvements!....... good luck :D

Gina, thanks for the input. Its nice to hear a female perspective, its hard to do the conversions and compare yourself to what the guys are saying sometimes hahaha. That makes me feel a lot better. :)