Strained vocal chords?

Rate this topic

DarkDisguise

Hello Forum!

It was a long time ago I sang frequently since I've mostly done it to other songs, and once in a while recorded one by myself, but now, after joining a band, you can see how singing has become a bigger deal :P

The only thing is, I love blending in screams, rap and clean song in it, but mostly I just go with a sort of punkie-rock style, raspy and pushy, and of course with the occassional hardcore screams.

The only thing is, after doing it for 5 hours or how long it takes for one rep with the band playing and inventing new songs, my notes gets harder to pinpoint, aswell as getting really hard to control while trying to reach high notes.

I guess it could be trying to blend techniques as, well, rock and clean voice doesn't quiet go hand in hand.

Only thing is, it doesn't hurt. It did the first time, probably because I'm not used to it, but as I progress the techniques sort of comes back, feeling that my throat doesn't get quiet as provoked as before, more relaxed and comfortable.

Still though, even if it doesn't hurt, it downgrades the ability to hit notes precise, and higher notes, as I said, is pretty much out of reach.

So, it doesn't hurt, but it gets harder to hit notes and sing normal, that's about it.

So, if anyone has an oppinion about it, please share it with me!

I've no real concern if my chords just needs to kind of adapt, or me to adapt trying to find a better technique,

but if it shows up later that I'm kind of destroying it without noticing, it's always worth discussing :P

Thanks in advance!

Have a good one.

Even though it doesn't hurt doesn't mean it is not detrimental. The fact that you are losing control and range could be just fatigue - or it could be something else. If it is just fatigue then I would say that you are pushing yourself beyond a safe practice session to where you could be reinforcing bad technique. That is not a good thing.

A good test to determine if you are indeed hurting yourself is the answer to the question: the next day after a practice does your voice feel perfectly fine with all the control and range you normally have? If yes then you're probably ok - just need to practice to improve technique which will improve stamina. If no then you need to seriously address the issue.

The only thing is, after doing it for 5 hours or how long it takes for one rep with the band playing and inventing new songs, my notes gets harder to pinpoint, aswell as getting really hard to control while trying to reach high notes.

It's right there, in fairly decent English.

5 hours.

I absolutely dare anyone here to sing heavy metal, hard core, whatever for 5 hours and see if you don't get a little fatigued after five hours and probably drop a pitch, here and there. It's called exhaustion.

Here's some advice from professional singers who have been doing it for decades. And their paychecks depended on this advice. Hydration. and REST.

Seriously.

Going from a clean sound to a dirty raspy sound and then back to clean takes time to get your body and cords used to it. It's like different setups, working in different muscles but trying not to over do it. Just keep practicing and dont add to much effort to the dirty stuff. Good luck just be smart if it doesn't feel right don't do it