Developing twang - Question about the "quack" sound

Rate this topic

breakin

Hi forum!

In order to build twang strength I'm trying to quack like a duck now and then. I was hoping that some poeple has some insights!

When doing the quack-exercise I sometimes feel a little bit in the nose, sometimes not at all. When clamping my nose the sound sometimes die or dull a bit, and sometimes is unaffected.

QUESTION: I'm wondering if I should bother to keep the sound entirerly out of my nose during this exercise. It seems like smiling and keeping mouth wide (horizontal), showing upper teeth, lowering jaw helps move the sound out of the nose. I'm sure that is good, just not sure if it should be part of this exercise.

QUESTION: How high should I take this exercise? I can quack to say C5, but I need to build my strength there. Is this a type of sound that could be taken to G5, or do I need another configuration up there? (I'm male, low tenor or so)

I mostly like the exercise because it will build some strength, and it gives me some idea of how it should fell "up there".

The quack is to get a feeling for the placement and twang. You have to normalize and twang once you have a hold of it.

I could post you several clips of me sounding very quacky up high.

Forget the high notes at the moment. Focus on the first steps.

Do you jump up the stairs to the 7th step or steadily take the steps beginning with the 1st?

Practice it on a lower tone and gradually work up.

The quack is to get a feeling for the placement and twang. You have to normalize and twang once you have a hold of it.

I could post you several clips of me sounding very quacky up high.

Forget the high notes at the moment. Focus on the first steps.

Do you jump up the stairs to the 7th step or steadily take the steps beginning with the 1st?

Practice it on a lower tone and gradually work up.

Thanks! I've got the video demonstration of Robert doing this in the Four Pillars 2.0 material so I know what it should sound like. I'm more after sensations, what it should feel like.

I've been doing the NG-exercise where I start on the NG (fully in the nose) and then "normalize" into a vowel (fully out of the nose, clamping noes makes no difference). I can do this fine on most lower notes in chest voice. I'm now starting to do the same in head voice but I find I don't have the strength to keep the twang.

That is why I liked the idea of building muscles by doing the quack-exercise, just like Robert recommended. Singercise. But I want to do it right. I guess that what I'm unsure is how much I should focus on "placement" as you say during this exercise. I tried it again today in the morning, and unless I produce enough power/volume/energy it ends up in the nose.

The high note question was mostly that I was curious about how high you could go with twang. Perhaps I need to change into something else higher up. Will that something still be twanged? Mostly theoretical for me, but I'm curious.

Oh you need to work on your stair analogy. Taking steady steps on a stair sound very booring. I'd take two at the time, at least, possibly three. But I'm all about walking before running :)

Thanks for chiming in! I've been listening to your clips here, nice to see your progress!

do exercises as simple as pretending you're a baby and just cry...cry just like a baby would...support the cry and cry nice and loud. keep the cry twangy, don't let fall down into the throat.

don't worry about sounding good just allow yourself to cry...this simple exercise helps strengthen the muscles involved in adduction of the vocal folds.

i learned this from a dave brooks video and believe me it helps quite a bit. you cannot half ass it or hold back from it. cry like a baby who is pissed off...lol!!!

don't worry about notes or anything, just let it wail!!!

Bob speaketh the truth. Commit to it, go forward without fear. Go for that sound and that note because there is nothing else in the world to do.

To quote an old Navy saying "(expletive deleted by me to avoid cursing) the torpedos and full speed ahead!"