Help Bridging Early

Rate this topic

Hey all, long time no talk. I have noticed I have the tendency to bridge late, which is causing strain. Bridging downwards from the upper register is getting easier for me. However I am so used to "pulling chest" into a heady zone it feels like I'm hitting a "block" when trying to go higher. I'm struggling to reverse the chest voice's control over the passaggio area. Lift up pull back definitely helps somewhat but not enough.

How can I reduce strain and bridge early, how can I fight the sensation if pulling the lower register up. I know it is a very delicate thing but I know my voice is "longing for release" I just don't know how to achieve it. I know someone will say just "bridge early" that's great lol but how :P

Thanks in advance guys.

- JayMC

Focus. By the time you get past your 1st octave and are heading towards your second, you need to start blending. If the sustained notes feel gritty then you are pulling chest. If they become light and dull sounding, then that's the head resonance. All you have to do is focus on it once you are in mix and even before you mix. Also keep your vocal tract open.

This is how i approach, however I wouldn't ever say this is the correct way to go about it. Wait for someone else's opinion because my way never seemed like it takes into account fine vocal ability, such as vibrato or twang.

start by working with the "oo" as in "cool" vowel and do daily descending slides using head voice musculature.

for head voice you need to learn to narrow the throat socket up high....get acquainted with the "oo" vowel.

yes, it will sound heady and woofy, and feminine but that vowel will do so much for your release and strenthen your head voice musculature.

And don't fear a little airiness in the beginning. The cord closure will come with practice.

And that is the hardest part. Getting past the "fear."

"I don't like that sound. It's weak, girly, too much like Ron" (pick your description)" and I just won't do it. I won't stop until I have chest speaking voice up at the top."

Even Frisell says you are going to make odd noises at first. Noises that you won't use later after some training. But many cannot get past that initial stage. And it's not from lack of muscularity or coordination or even dedication to "work it." It's because they can't let go of the ego, the machismo.

What was that phrase I kept using all the time?

And that is the hardest part. Getting past the "fear."

"I don't like that sound. It's weak, girly, too much like Ron" (pick your description)" and I just won't do it. I won't stop until I have chest speaking voice up at the top."

Even Frisell says you are going to make odd noises at first. Noises that you won't use later after some training. But many cannot get past that initial stage. And it's not from lack of muscularity or coordination or even dedication to "work it." It's because they can't let go of the ego, the machismo.

What was that phrase I kept using all the time?

One of my favorite parts of learning was actually all of those new cool sounds I was producing up there. But I had read some books and had a good teacher who explained to me that "speaking" voice ends where you break at E/F above middle C. To produce a connected tone above that, you need to convert your sound from speech into cry.

Eventually I also learned to belt, which has more a of a "speech-like" quality to it than a head voice/cry setup. But, for the most part, I like the the head voice/cry better. If you belt an entire song people are going to be asking themselves "why the hell is this guy shouting everything".