Resonance question

Rate this topic

six20aus

Out of curiosity.

There is a perceptible range of notes where the resonance in my head seems to connect with my ears. Its around middle C but fades quickly after.

Is this just an acoustical trick ? It seems like some notes are created right between my ears and they are much louder ?

Out of curiosity.

There is a perceptible range of notes where the resonance in my head seems to connect with my ears. Its around middle C but fades quickly after.

Is this just an acoustical trick ? It seems like some notes are created right between my ears and they are much louder ?

six20aus: likely that you are opening your Eustachian tubes, airways which connect the nasopharynx to the middle ear for those few notes. It happens if you emphasize a yawn-feeling when you are singing there.

The purpose of those tubes is to allow air pressure in the middle ear to be equalized with external pressure. If you can 'pop' your ears on demand, try opening them deliberately at any point in the range.

The tone you hear in your head when the tubes are open does not in any way affect the quality that is heard by others. Its just a distraction to the singer.

I hope this is helpful.

I too have that issue.

It gets frustrating. Usually happens during a long practice session in the high notes. To be, I close the tubes but pinching my nose, closing my mouth, and trying to inhale causing a vacuum. Once they are closed, the sound seemed muffled to me, but less bothersome then when its open.