Question RE: slowing inhale & pressing down

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

Hope you're all doing well! Quick question if anyone gets a minute...

To stall/balance my breath the end of a relaxed, low-energy inhale (right before starting to sing), I find myself introducing a tiny bit of a push down & out in my lower torso. This, I assume, is the holding back the breath part of support. If I don't do this, or if I time it wrong, I risk a nasty glottal onset. I know this is all basic junk, just bear with me here...

I have noticed that if I gently do this push down thing DURING the inhale, right from the beginning, my onsets are smooth, tasty and heady no matter what I do... it feels like I could bark like a dog and still have balanced onsets. Obviously the abs have less opportunities to relax doing it this way, so it's probably not as physically efficient as only pushing down at the last second, but is this a bad habit to form? Do any of you skilled guys press down just a little during your inhale? Or maybe you just think of it as a more energized inhale than you take when you're just speaking?

Do any of you skilled guys press down just a little during your inhale? Or maybe you just think of it as a more energized inhale than you take when you're just speaking?

I have been specifically described by someone here as unskilled so I don't fit the criteria of your question. But I felt inspired to respond, if that's okay. In fact, let's just label my response as the layman's response. I am not a vocal coach or voice professional. Just an unskilled singer sticking my neck out there.

No, I do not compress or press down on inhale. That is always free and easy, belly relaxed so that the diaphragm has room to do it's thing. I am a singer, not a GQ model (which I could not be, anyway, I'm just not pretty enough. :lol: )

Compression happens at the moment of onset. But not massive compression. More like a gentle start that takes hold. Which still doesn't sound right. Anyway, now you know why I don't teach the stuff.

during an inhale, i personally want the ability to air draw in fast and low, expanding all around.

sensing the air going in low seems to remove all traces of tanking up.

i've trained myself not to actively assist inhalation, just expand below...unless i need to really shoot it in.

in many songs depending on the tempo or lyrics and other factors you don't have the luxury of a slow inhale.

Thanks for your input, guys! I think maybe the energized inhale i'm feeling could be likened to the sensation bob described... kind of using the abs to pull air down low. It's still working, so I guess I'll go with it for the time being haha.

you don't need to "actively" inhale (like you would if it was your birthday and they told you to blow out the candles).

try not to draw in air.....just expand all around below, i do 3 or 4 sets of 10 thoughout the day. think as if your lungs were missing and concentrate on expanding low and deep.

you will have all the air (and air pressure) you will ever need.