Somebody That I Used To Know: Codyknight22

• TMV World Legacy Member

I remade it. I don't know if it'll show up as a new post, but I did. I used a guide in my ear, and you guys can' hear the music. The parts when I'm for the lyrics to come up, it sounds a bit strange to you guys {I took a listen}. But I kept away from that low parts. I tried to hold out one note, but I'm just not ready for that yet and I know that it dropped off in the end. I apologize for that, but I tried. Anyway I want more feedback, lay it on me as hard and brutal as you want.

Video:

Peace-Codyknight22

I think you should re-do this one. You are sort of trying to sing it an octave lower than the original. Sing it one octave higher, and you still have to get MUCH louder, seriously. Just try it, then move on to another! And you might want a karaoke track to stay in the correct key.

I'm with Tommy.

It will really help you to sing along with a backing track, or even the original.

It clear that you're trying to be quiet, but it really wont help your singing at all.

Try putting the song on at a good volume in your headphones and then sing along with it into your PC/laptop mic. Find a time when nobody else will be at home and just go for it.

Best of luck.

Hi Cody,

I'm going to give it to you straight although you may not like it. But the only way for you to learn is by knowing the truth and that is what this is about "learning." There are no shortcuts. Others here have been nice and stroked your ego a bit but in the meantime all that has done was cause you to waste more time. Do you think that is good? Productive?

Listen to me. If you wanted to be a baseball pitcher and the coach said ok, show me your stuff. You want to learn how to throw a proper fastball right? Ok...let's see what you've got. If you're going to tell him that "well, I'm shy and I don't want anyone to see me throw hard so I'll just toss it underhand for now....howz that?" He will say no, I need to see a fastball. "How about this,,,this one was a little harder" Again.....NO, if you want to learn how to pitch and throw a good fastball then you are going to have to unleash a pitch as hard as you can, now either throw the ball or go home.

How can anyone help you without seeing what you've got and where the mistakes are? The things that go into singing low as you are are more related to speech than singing and those are two different things so no one here will be able to help you with the examples you have provided thus far. You're getting nowhere.

If you want help you need to sing and sing with all you've got...loud and clear. "That is the only way" Period.

Singing requires support. Do you know what that is? If you say no then it is because you didn't heed my advice a few weeks back to get out of this section of the forum and go read the techniques section.

Support is about breath control and it is one of the first steps to singing. Without it you can't sing. At the level you are singing it is too low to use support properly or to even judge if your support is good or bad. Without that simple thing no one can tell what your voice is like. So in essence no one here can help you because you aren't singing. Therefore no one has any clue what mistakes you are making or what you are doing good or bad.

You aren't throwing the ball. So you may hate me for this but so be it. Either sing loud and clear and I mean really project. I mean sing as if your mom was in another room and she had the TV on and you wanted her to bring you something and were calling for her. Sing as if you were singing in a huger theater and had to reach the back row with your sound and no mic. If not then stop asking for advice. At the volume you are singing "NO ONE" here can help. No matter what they say.

Sorry kid but that is just the way it is. I want you to succeed. So far all you have done was begin on the wrong path and are strengthening the seeds of failure. :)

And just as a side bar. As a parant and granparent, I'm not sure if, at 13 years of age, you should be sneaking around on a basically adult forum without your parents knowledge. "IF" you are serious about singing, then your parents will help. No different then wanting to play guitar or join the little league team. Get lessons. Ask your parents.

If your serious and you really want this. Then you'll do it.

New video is up!

Well, I'll say this. Late in the song close to the 3 minute mark and then after 3:00. There you started to add a little volume. That sounded much better than the low talking you were doing in your other videos and the beginning of this song. I still hold to my post above but I will say this. When you started to sing louder after 3 minutes I heard a nice voice buried in there somewhere and even a little natural vibrato. I say natural because I am assuming you don't know how to add your own. :D So you definitely have the potential and something to work with. Still very nasal. That is going to take work and I won't get into it because I said what I had to say above in my last post. :)

But somewhere inside you is a singer. Please let him out. Stop hiding. ;)

I'm no expert, but I feel like you are holding back a lot. There are a bunch of exercises you can do to help, but if I were you, I'd try to get lessons. I found them to be great fun and didn't regret it.

If you can't afford lessons, check out youtube for a bunch of free advice. Try doing a complete warmup and then singing the same song when you're home alone.

@Tommy

You are right, I don't know how to add my own vibrato and as I type I have another window open looking up what vibrato is. Also I really appreciated your first comment, because it was harsh. I've been waiting for someone to throw me to the ground, and while that was't it, it was certainley closer to that than ever before. I' try to unleash the singer inside of me. If only I had some skittles (if you like the National Football League you'll get that refrance). But seeing as of how I have none handy, I'll settle for a lot of work + OldPainless' advice. Anyway thanks for the constant stream of feedback and I'm going to get better with it in the end. Right now I'm on baby steps, which is a lot faster than I was 1 month ago. Thank you guys.

-Codyknight22