Breath Compression vs Vocal Compression

Rate this topic

Hey all, what are the similarities and differences between breath compression and vocal compression. More importantly how can I use these concepts to improve my breathy/uncompressed voice? It feels like the higher I go the breathier and less powerful the tone becomes.

Thanks in advance guys!

- JayMC

I just need to chime in here with some physics that may or may not relate. When you increase the pace of the air, the pressure does not rise, it actually lessens. So I think breath compression is exactly what you said, support. You take in air and create potential pressure which you then control with proper support so you can keep the pressure high and the airpace low as you sing. This saves the vocal folds from the danger that you mentioned with a fast air pace and possibly airy tone.

This is how think about this but I might be wrong.

Cheers!

I've got a little physics observation, too. The Bernoulli effect also explains how a plane gets off the ground. It's not just air speed, it's the shape of the wing or the object that allows more air underneath than above. The shape of the wing allows more air collect under the wing than over the wing. So above the wing is kind of a vacuum.

Indeed, actually the shape of the wing forces more air on the top side to flow on a smaller area resulting in a higher air speed. This in turn results in a lessened pressure or the "vacuum" effect on the top side giving the wing its lifting capabilities. Sorry for off-topic :)

what you don't want when you sing powerfully is air velocity or swift air movement....you want the air to lay up against the vocal folds with varying amounts (depending on what you want out of your voice) of pressure.

you're actually preventing or actively retarding air velocity when you support. it's very physical.