First recording - Hallelujah

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys, I finally got myself a decent mic (Rode M1), and quickly recorded something to try it out. Now I'm a complete noob at recording so I tried to make the sound as pleasing to the ears as possible considering my limited knowledge. This was a 3rd take, didn't bother ironing it out, mostly because I don't know how. :D Criticism is desired and welcome!

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16927620/Hallelujah

I think you have a nice sounding voice and you sing well. Nice job. What I didn't care for was your interpretation. I thought you over dramatized it a little :) I mean you just made some parts too dramatic and got a little overboard with extending notes and modulating them etc. Also the "Hallelujah's." If there were three or four hallelujah's in a phrase you would say them with different "a" sounds. For example one would be Haaleluja with the "a" sound of "hat" and the next would be Hahllelujah with the "a" sound of "hardly."

Overall very nice though. You sing well. :)

I finally listened to see what the comments were about. I've lost count of the number of people that come in to cover the song and kind of got burned out on it. But it's still a good song.

On the upside, you have a really flexible voice. Always keep that flexibility and keep doing the funny voices. I do. I just don't record them. Of course, now, I'm waiting for Tommy to come in and say, "you mean, you weren't singing in a funny voice? Man, if I only knew .... " :lol:

I think what it is people sometimes have certain expectations for a song. They may not expect you to sound like Jeff Buckley, but they expect a similar intrepration. Where as your range all over the map. But it does show your nimble and fluid ability and awesome sustain. I could time a roasted chicken by that one note. :)

I've done that, too. Held a super-long note just because I could and then later kicked myself in the butt because I think it distracted from the meaning of the song. It's something I could get away with live and it might be appreciated but it took up too much space in a recording.

And that is one of my constant things to work on for myself, editing what I am going to sing before I record it. Sometimes, less is more. Felipe would say, pick a vocal line and stay with it for the sense of continuity in the song. Rather than going from jocular to cynical to remorseful, pick one of those and make it the central emotion.

I agree, the singing was good. And it would be neat to hear it with a singular intrepretation.

It sounded too over dramatized to me. You were in tune, which is good. Recording quality was good also, I could hear everything clearly. Your articulation is good also.

I'm afraid that if you get any more dramatic then you might be in danger of entering the territory of the "club singer" from the UK comedy quiz show, Shooting Stars (e.g.

)

Maybe sing it 'straighter'... ?

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

That River deep, mountain high clip had me cracking up! :D The guy is actually a good singer, lol. :D

Thanks for all the comments guys, I was definitely heavily inspired by Jeff and all his live renditions of the song, and all his whailing sirens and whatnot. Maybe I should listen to some Leonard and take it from there. Will re-record soon guys!