Just some analysis

Rate this topic

D.Starr

I'm subscribed to this guy on Youtube because I really like his voice. It's clear and crisp and he can really sing those high notes.

I just wondered if anyone could elaborate on the techniques he may be using if possible.

He sings Grenade by Bruno Mars in the original key near pitch perfect. He doesn't look like he's straining and his tone is nice and bright but still connected.

Would a Baritone like myself be able to attain this type of sound?

D.Starr,

this kid's great. Check out his live Adele cover, he is singing more open "belty" vowels in the chorus(ala your TVS training.) The Bruno stuff is just traditional mix voice/cry+speech+ twang/curbing/godknowswhateverthehellelseyouwannacallit

And to your question: OF COURSE YOU CAN !!!

I've listened to more of his videos and I don't really like his voice.

I can't tell if it's autotune or some weird effects in all his songs, but he seriously needs to turn it off.

He has a very thin, weak voice when he goes higher.

"Thinking About You" by Frank Ocean really showed his weaknesses.

I couldn't tell if he was off key, but there were some parts that didn't sound right.

I prefer these 2 Youtube covers:

She was off on some notes, but I really like her piano arrangement.

Skip to 0:41 for song

Hi Dr. Starr! about his technique, he is using the same as bruno mars and wow, he really imitates very well all the colours and effects too!

The modes this singer -and bruno mars- use are neutral with air, neutral without air, curbing-like neutral, and curbing :P and at the end of the song, at 3:13, the singer of the cover is straining a bit, i think that it is because he is trying to sing overdrive, while using curbing vowels :P

Make sure you think of all that and then try and sing. I mean if it's as easy say neutral this and curb that then everyone should be able to do it:P

And Dstarr I think that guy is great!! And yes you Will be able to sing that even if you are a baritone.. In pop music there are no classifications.

Is that because there is no sound ideal in pop music? ;)

Actually there is, just not the same as what is required in opera, where a baritone will usually be cast as a baritone, no matter what he wants to sing outside of the opera role.

But, in pop music, if you can manage the note and people like it, more power to you.

And I like what someone else said. Many guys who think they are baritone are not real baritones, they are on octave singers who, with good technique and training, find out they are tenors.

Is that because there is no sound ideal in pop music? ;)

Actually there is, just not the same as what is required in opera, where a baritone will usually be cast as a baritone, no matter what he wants to sing outside of the opera role.

But, in pop music, if you can manage the note and people like it, more power to you.

And I like what someone else said. Many guys who think they are baritone are not real baritones, they are on octave singers who, with good technique and training, find out they are tenors.

Yeah I guess I should stray away from classifications, it does become a mental hindrance.

I've listened to more of his videos and I don't really like his voice.

I can't tell if it's autotune or some weird effects in all his songs, but he seriously needs to turn it off.

He has a very thin, weak voice when he goes higher.

Yeah I'm not sure what effect it is he uses, it does sound strange.

He is weak on the Thinking bout you cover. I prefer the bottom one, he's got a nice strong tone, pity he didn't go higher for the chorus.

keep working on developing and strengthening head voice musculature so that you can sing those notes from the top down rather than drawing up from the bottom....follow?

Yeah I think I understand you. I think I'm drawing more from the bottom up. Have to look up some top down phonations.

The technique he is using is called "singing" practice your exercises for head/chest/mixed/ falsetto and then take a break, come back and start singing!!!

And Dstarr I think that guy is great!! And yes you Will be able to sing that even if you are a baritone.. In pop music there are no classifications.

Haha it just gets frustrating when you hear someone good and think "WHAT IS THIS MAGICAL THING THEY ARE DOING!?!?!" I will continue to keep singing. I'm on my 4th lesson with this new guy and I feel a lot more connected since he taught me to keep a forward phonation in the mask and a better attack. Need to work on lightening up in the passaggio but keeping it connected and not quacky.

Hi Dr. Starr! about his technique, he is using the same as bruno mars and wow, he really imitates very well all the colours and effects too!

The modes this singer -and bruno mars- use are neutral with air, neutral without air, curbing-like neutral, and curbing :P and at the end of the song, at 3:13, the singer of the cover is straining a bit, i think that it is because he is trying to sing overdrive, while using curbing vowels :P

I'll have to look these up in the CVT book I have, thanks bro.

• 2 months later...

Skip to 0:41 for song

I'm watching American Idol now and just saw him (Cortex Shaw) on the show!.....and he made it to the next round. This isn't the first time one of my Youtube subscriptions competed on a singing TV show like "American Idol", or "The Voice". :)

I liked his performance and I don't listen to R&B all that much.

The only thing I could suggest for him is to not make excuses. You always bring your "A" game, whatever your A game is that day, Cold or not, allergies, or not. Though I prefer not to sing with a cold because I don't want to form compensatory habits while singing with a cold.

D.Starr I think Videohere and Danielformica are giving solid advice but it's up to you if you want to listen to them. Check out my training speaking voice thread... I think it would help you out a lot. Imo you might have to give up some of your vocal beauty (temporarily) and just focus on bridging & connecting. Don't feel pressured to sound a certain way right now... when you can bridge & connect perfectly on any vowel on any song then you will blow these guys out of the water. It may be the slow and boring approach.... but if what you're doing is not working then CHANGE IT. You might have to try 1000 different approaches to get to the point you want to be at... but if singing the way you are right now is not working... well you know what they say.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If bottom-up ain't working try top-down then middle-up or middle-down. Don't let your voice become one dimensional.

Did I mention that Chris Brown went to dozens of vocal coaches before finding what worked for him? If it took Brown that many approaches then let's get moving ;)