Very important question regarding soft palate and weather

Rate this topic

jjm41031

Hello

I haven't posted on here for awhile but I finally have some free time to change that.

For awhile I have have suspected allergies or weather sensitivity drastically affecting my singing ability. My speaking voice is usually a baritone. But there are certain days when I speak much higher without trying. Those would be the days when I can sing well into the tenor range with little effort. Great days for me. But then there are days when it seems like I can barely make it to the passagio. And even if I spend time warming up or exercising, its a real struggle. There isn't always any apparent allergies going on. But I have noticed that it seems like I can't raise the soft palate as well. My voice just seems more "open" and free on certain days.

So I am asking if anyone understands this phenomena? I would certainly like to know because it hinders my progress. I spend half the time singing well without thinking about my technique. But the other half, I struggle and end up having to focus on technique to the point of possibly practicing bad habits.

Thanks

J --

Are you sure you are actually clearing it out? As an Afrin abuser who spent a very long time recognizing where all this stuff is actually located and many months of training to actually clear my throat and correctly, I know what you mean exactly. I think you are having trouble clearing out your head. Head and throat clearing is just another technique that has to be mastered. It could be you are not attacking the lowest parts of the vocal folds due to heartburn you don't know exists too which will seriously limit your ability to reach as high as the nasal passages. It feels like you are singing high and tight, but it just isn't because the air isn't circulating. I've been there and done that too. If you recorded a short sample, even 15 seconds long I could identify this sound from a mile away.

Hello

I haven't posted on here for awhile but I finally have some free time to change that.

For awhile I have have suspected allergies or weather sensitivity drastically affecting my singing ability. My speaking voice is usually a baritone. But there are certain days when I speak much higher without trying. Those would be the days when I can sing well into the tenor range with little effort. Great days for me. But then there are days when it seems like I can barely make it to the passagio. And even if I spend time warming up or exercising, its a real struggle. There isn't always any apparent allergies going on. But I have noticed that it seems like I can't raise the soft palate as well. My voice just seems more "open" and free on certain days.

So I am asking if anyone understands this phenomena? I would certainly like to know because it hinders my progress. I spend half the time singing well without thinking about my technique. But the other half, I struggle and end up having to focus on technique to the point of possibly practicing bad habits.

Thanks

J --

Yes, because I live in Texas, aka, Allergy Central. Weather starts here. Dust and dry winds from the desert western half of the state. Plumes of warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico, and cold fronts that come racing down the Front Range (eastern side of the Rockies) barrelling along the great plains and gathering all kinds of pollen and other allergens.

And they all meet here.

Thanks to the most recent cool front, I wake up with stuffy head. So, before I do any singing, I do what I can to clear my sinuses. Blow my nose, drink coffee, whatever. I'm not much into nasal remedies. In fact, sometimes singing is enough to vibrate and loosen the sinuses. So, I recorded yesterday morning, while my voice was feeling a little "raw" from drainage.

So, part of what will limit your range is sinus that is full and also the lack of breath support if you are also fighting drainage that seems to cut your wind down. And actual drainage on to the true folds, which will make you folds swollen and less responsive and also, less nimble to vibrate at the higher frequencies. That is probably the biggest thing. When you have allergies, your mucus production goes up to trap and get rid of the allergens. Well the thing everyone calls the False Vocal Folds is a mucus membrane ridge just above the true folds. It, too, can overproduce, depositing a thick layer of irritating mucus on the folds.

When I do actually have a cold, I take Dayquil because it's non-drowsy. Also, chinese mustard is good for opening sinuses. My wife makes this spicy mexican tortilla soup with spices so hot, it's guaranteed to make you sweat like a racehorse. But it will chase out whatever bug you have.