Vocal Placement/How do you hit the pitch exactly?

Rate this topic

masterson312

I have a problem with placement of my voice when trying to hit a pitch

I feel like my issue is that I'm looking for the pitch instead of hitting it exactly, how do I go about fixing it. I may tend to over or undershoot the pitch and then just slide into the right note. How do I avoid this whole sliding thing?

I think there will be always a minimal amount of "glitch", even in well-trained singer.

I was taught to always approach the notes in from the higher direction.

This sounds better, and nonetheless easier for the vocal mechanism.

There can be an other problem that you hit the note, but somehow feel that you missed and start to tune it - this mistuning could cause vocal problems as well.

I second what p-n-g said. And when you are listening back to your singing, what how much compressor you are using at what settings. Reason being, the compressor can overamplify the sound of onset, which is often a ramp up.

The obvious solution here would be staccato arpeggio and scale exercises. Avoid scooping or "undershooting" the notes and just practice till it's second nature. Big part of the training is letting your muscles "remember" the position of the pitch, along with the proper amount of support that is needed for a desired tone to be achieved.

There are times when you are off pitch and don't realize it. So the support solution isn't always the case. For example, if you're recording and you're playing it back and your flat or sharp. It may just be a question of hearing or just not paying attention. This can happen if you're playing an instrument as you're singing too. I notice sometimes with in ears that my pitch can get wonky. You'd think you'd be hearing everything better, and you do, but sometimes it can be funky and you don't realize it. It could be on a note where support doesn't play a big part of it, as in a hard note. It could just be that you're not listening IN YOUR HEAD for the correct pitch. I don't have that issue with wedges, but I do with in ears every once in awhile.