She's Gone, Codyknight22, oh and Happy T-Day

• TMV World Legacy Member

HAPPY THANKSGIVING {still is where I live}, if you live somewhere else, happy 4th Thursday/Friday of November. I decided to do She's Gone by Hall & Oats. But I didn't hear it from them, I heard it from a vocal innovator on a TV show called the Voice, named Nicolas David. I'll post his version as well, but I loved it so much I choose to do it. Also I'll post the studio version of his song. Oh yeah give me feedback on my version as well.

Nicolas David vs. Todd Kesler {Voice Battle Rounds}: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXsaqfVEtng

Nicolas David {Solo Studio Version}: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3xxSxEFdms

My Version:

I did use a backing track, but it was the studio version of the song on iTunes. Thanks and give me lots of feedback, and did my nasal comeback because I think it almost did.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Codyknight22

I think what others meant by hoping you use a backing track was to hear it mixed with your voice. And here's what you can do to accomplish that. Audacity is a recording software that is a free download. You will also need to find and download the free plug-in for LAME mp3 encoder, in order to export to mp3 from Audacity.

Audacity has plenty of effects in it. I use it. My biggest problem is mic settings but I am learning how to fix that.

As for the backing track, there are kinds of youtube rippers. They will take the audio from a youtube video and turn it into an mp3 that you can import into Audacity or whatever recording software you are using.

You're pitch dipped on the long notes. And I think that is because you are listening to the other singer while you sing. You have to ignore that and sing like you are the only singer. You see the note going, you keep the note going, who care's what the other guy is doing, no matter how good he is.

Here's something you might try. I don't know if you have one of those little portable digital recorders, the kind you can talk notes into. Anyway, or maybe if your desk cam is actually portable. Anyway, go someplace where you can sing without fear of waking other people up. You don't need to sing a lot louder, just some louder, to get the right sustain and oomph in the voice. Just a thought.

Also, don't worry about sounding too nasal. Believe it or not,trying to avoid any results in a completely nasal sound, like Sylvester Stallone used for his character, Rocky Balboa, to sound like a boxer who has taken too many hits to the nose.

Ron is correct. When we say sing to a backing track, we mean a track that we as listeners can hear also. This way it isn't just your voice on the recording we are hearing but rather the whole song. Before I had any recording equipment what I did was play a karaoke track from youtube on my laptop while also video recording myself singing. This way the listeners would hear the track as well as me.

But that aside. I am going to scold you once again!!! :D

I have given you this advice before but I guess you don't want to hear it. But I think it will help :) So once again!!

Singing is great and it will help you learn. I'm not asking you to stop singing or even making videos. But! I feel too much time and effort may be wasted on posting videos here in this section. While I believe in singing as exercise and that you can learn a great deal by just constantly singing, you need to learn some technique to aid that. I would suggest, as I have before, that you skip this section for awhile and spend more time in the techniques section. Learn some scales and exercises and practice them, then post clips (in that section) of you practicing and then ask questions on what you may be doing wrong in the exercises. Then correct those mistakes and continue. Then apply that new knowledge to your singing.

I think that when you train in anything it is a good idea to first break it down into it's smaller parts (details), or the important parts...the ones that make it tick...then perfect them. After that you put it all back together and apply it to the whole. Once you can gain control of some vocal exercises those things can then be applied to a song and your singing. THEN! you can post a song ad ask if you are improving based on your practice. There are exercises for all the small details of singing. Voice placement, nasal/non nasal, breathing, pitch, legato, arpeggio, staccato, volume, high notes, passagio, low notes, whatever.

But first you need to know what to practice and how to do it right so it will work in a song. And that needs to be done out of the "Critique my singing" section. It sounds like a joke but I have heard good things about the book "Singing for Dummies." I would suggest getting that. I think it comes with a CD. There are a few books out there that come with CD's which contain scales and exercises along with piano backup. Those would be a great help. But again "you get this information in the techniques section.". :)

@Tommy,

Wow I misinterpreted about half of your advice. I thought that you meant look at videos in the vocal technique section, and have a guide in my ear :P. I misunderstood so much of that, my bad. I'll start doing that, snoop around online to see what I can find on the wonderful world of youtube. Thanks Tommy, and this time, I know what you mean :P

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing of too much importance in terms of singing, but I'll have an upload of a video soon I hope. But before I upload I just want to get this out,

R.I.P Gilbert Sanchez (July 3rd 1930-December 5th 2012). You won't be forgotten nor will your story ever die Grandpa. I had to try and "lighten the load" everywhere I could and here's one of those places. I'd do the dog now, but I don't have enough control. You'll probably see a much bigger rant when I make the video.

Dylan Sanchez (or Codyknight22)