head voice coming together

Rate this topic

DoverOs

Today was the first day that I felt like I had a full connected voice all the way through my range. I could power all of my notes and barely had any open tones.

At the beginning of this year, I was struggling to find a decent mix coordination, and at the end of this year, I've got my voice up to a usable 3 octave 4 semitone range (given that the highest head tones aren't required to be fully voiced)

I just felt like sharing this story.

Today was the first day that I felt like I had a full connected voice all the way through my range. I could power all of my notes and barely had any open tones.

At the beginning of this year, I was struggling to find a decent mix coordination, and at the end of this year, I've got my voice up to a usable 3 octave 4 semitone range (given that the highest head tones aren't required to be fully voiced)

I just felt like sharing this story.

Good for you, Dover. We should have a chance to share our accomplishments. Now and then, we've had a thread for that purpose. Whether you made it C5 or just added one half-tone to your range. Or learned a song that you wanted to do. Or made it through one song, whatever the accomplishment, bravo.

And you are correct on the highest headtones. Though they require some training, which was Jens' point in another thread, I think they don't require too much concentration. The meaty middle part with the passaggio, that's the one to iron out. You get that fixed and you can sing 98 percent of all the pop songs, arias, operatic art songs. Anything written for a tenor, you can do. And if you have the bottom end, you can probably sing baritone roles though I have heard your voice and I don't really hear a baritone thing in it. I think you are more likely dramatic tenor, like Dio was. Now, an important thing I have learned from reading the memoirs of Renee Fleming is to truly consider the fach of the voice required for what you are singing. She would like to sing everything but coaches advised her to stick with one. Changing tessituras from one show to the next can be damaging without rest and preparation.

Point being, you can learn to sing a certain way and that way will be good and valued. And some fine points may be lost. Then you go to get those fine points and loose some of the thing of this "voice." This is a concept that was highlighted by Frisell and I have found it to be true. I have more notes in the tenor range than I do with baritone. So, 2 things, I trained like a tenor, and second, I gave up the notion of being baritone, I never had it in my voice. I can force a low tone and it sounds and feels forced and is non-sustainable. So, in being the tenor I am supposed to be, I don't have good low notes below about C3.

So, you will find that with your voice. Which doesn't mean that you cannot sing different styles. But you will have to give yourself some time to adapt to these different styles, to "re-tune", literally and figuratively.