Michael Jackson

Rate this topic

D.Starr

The Bad 25th anniversary special produced by Spike Lee recently aired in America has some good stuff in there.

Not only do I love Michael in everything he does, he's a MAJOR inspirational to me as well as a trendsetter for music, even to this day.

One interesting part was the bit with Seth Riggs who said, Michael had a range of a bass low C all way up to G above High C (Correct me if I'm wrong). He then goes on to saying he got a call from Michael who spoke in a very Baritone voice. Then it struck me, I have a very Baritone voice but he hits Tenor notes. He goes on to say he loved Michael's Baritone region but Michael preferred to talk and sing in his angelic/childish voice.

Just goes to show if you practice and perfect your voice no matter what your speaking voice is, you can achieve some great heights.

http://vidbull.com/ws2ydym5449u.html Couldn't find a Youtube link but skip to 43 minutes in.

Yes. He, like a LOT of singers, including myself, choose to talk in a manner that is not our natural voices at all. This is mostly subconscious. The part of my voice that I talk with would almost always be closed when singing. MJ did the same thing. The fact that he could get get so deep into the high part of his vocal folds while talking heavily suggests a lot of skill when singing because it is harder and takes more effort than singing, simply put. It takes diaphragm breathing all the time to pull this off. He simply chose to talk in a manner that protected the portion of his vocal folds he used for singing.

I saw that footage of him heavily sedated talking on the phone and his voice sounded extremely croaky and groggy. His voice was very much baritone like, but it was hard to judge how it would have been like in other circumstances.

Sedation relaxes everything and can make someone sound unnaturally low.

I used to try and talk in a way not natural for my voice. I gave it up, as it was counter-productive. I tried for a long time to sound baritone and I am not and letting go of that childish behavior has cleared up a lot of things for me. Nowadays, I can sing a clean high note, high for some people, anyway, and have them think it's falsetto. How awesome is that ?

:o

One interesting part was the bit with Seth Riggs who said, Michael had a range of a bass low C all way up to G above High C (Correct me if I'm wrong). He then goes on to saying he got a call from Michael who spoke in a very Baritone voice. Then it struck me, I have a very Baritone voice but he hits Tenor notes. He goes on to say he loved Michael's Baritone region but Michael preferred to talk and sing in his angelic/childish voice.

Michael Jackson's voice has always intrigued me... I've heard him hit F#2 in a lesson with seth riggs, but a bass low C? How is this possible? I can barely get down to the G above it!