Singers formant for a Bass

Rate this topic

p_n_g

Hi!

Is there some exercise to boost my singers formant ? Especially when I'm singing low, at about D2-F2 ( scientific notation ).

In my choir they always complain that the Bass in not enough ( there are only two of us who can hit this low note ), and it is not powerful enough.

I thought that if I could just use some techniques applied to solo singing, maybe I could solve this problem.

Hi!

Is there some exercise to boost my singers formant ? Especially when I'm singing low, at about D2-F2 ( scientific notation ).

In my choir they always complain that the Bass in not enough ( there are only two of us who can hit this low note ), and it is not powerful enough.

I thought that if I could just use some techniques applied to solo singing, maybe I could solve this problem.

p_n_g: The singer's formant in that range is produced the same way it is elsewhere in the range, by the narrowing of the epilarynx. If you have it elsewhere, then stepwise scales downward from where it is easier will reveal where you are changing your epilaryngeal posture. The sensations of the tone in this lower range will be different than elsewhere.

In college, where I learned it, the professor often said... 'The lower, the brighter'.

I hope this is helpful.

Oh, and the director should not only be asking for more tone down there, but should also have a sense of how to train it :-)