This is weird....

Rate this topic

tele07650

Im wondering whats goin on with my voice. I always have mucus build ever since i started. But around august it was tough to warm- up my voice would crack and it would be very difficult to sing. But after 30 minutes I would be good and ready to go for the show. In the fall my voice would crack then i decided to rest it. And I was good. I find it strange it does that. There was a period where my voice would get hoarse but there was an extreme weather change where I live. It went form like 60 degress to like 40 in a day or two. And after that it went away. But im just wondering why it takes my voice so long to get where I want it when I warm up. I sing best after a long rehearsal or a gig. They feel very loose and it seems I could sing just about anything. Im wondering could they be damaged? This week I feel a pain near my tonsil area. When you have nodules don't you feel a pain down in your throat more? Man I sound like a noob hahah whats goin on guys?

Hi -

These changes are not just due to weather! Singing better after a really long warmup or a day of heavy singing is not a good sign; when the voice is healthy, 5 minute warmup should be enough to stretch things out & get you mentally prepared to work on songs.

Pain in tonsil area might be related to the voice (muscle strain as your voice mechanism compensates for whatever is going on with the cords; or a sign of infection, or neck strain), but most likely it's a separate problem.

Nodules and other specific injuries to the vocal cords don't typically hurt in a sharp/local way, but the muscles in the area can get achey.

I would strongly recommend that you see a GOOD larynx doctor as soon as you can, and in the meantime rest your voice when possible. Its also better to tolerate the cracky-unstable sound rather than squeeze and push past it, unless you're being paid a lot!! Continuing to sing around the problem will only make it worse, and you'll have to unlearn all those muscle habits down the road.

To find a USA clinic, with throat doctor and voice therapist working together, I like this list: http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1551

cheers - Joanna

Sorry I missed this post from before.

Your weather change also including turning the heater in the house or building, I am sure. Well, central heating also de-humidifies the air, drastically. I live in Texas and am used to a/c, which dries some people out but not me. However, heaters, especially the heater in my car, dries out the air significantly. And translates its effect to my voice. If I've got the heater on high, I cannot sing. If am in the car with the heater on, I need to roll a window a little and let in some cold, moist air.

My point being, watch the humidity in the air that you breathe.

Hi Tele,

I will advice you to focus on your daily meal plan and seems like weather changing effects your vocal so wear warm clothes and exercise daily as regular exercise strengthens your heart and lungs and boost your resistance power.