Getting power into head voice.

Rate this topic

DoverOs

So I'm trying to get more power into my head voice, but I'm not getting anywhere. I can go all the way up through my mix to c5, and make it sound very natural and open, but when I get to my head voice it always thins out to a degree.

I personally don't feel like I can physically change the tone anymore than it is now, or change any of the musculature. So I'm wondering what is the mechanism that allows a singer to bring that chest power up into head.

Is it still like mix, where the notes keep slowly building one after another, or is there some upper mechanism that builds strength.

dover, believe me, without having ever heard you, you have plenty more that can be developed and strengthened....

and refined....

head voice up high and powerful is a combination of pressurized air skillfully applied against the vocal folds whose musculature can resist the pressure and finding a resonating "pocket" ideal for that note and vowel.

it's a balance and a tuning skill....oh, and a ton of practise and experimentation....

So I'm trying to get more power into my head voice, but I'm not getting anywhere. I can go all the way up through my mix to c5, and make it sound very natural and open, but when I get to my head voice it always thins out to a degree.

I personally don't feel like I can physically change the tone anymore than it is now, or change any of the musculature. So I'm wondering what is the mechanism that allows a singer to bring that chest power up into head.

Is it still like mix, where the notes keep slowly building one after another, or is there some upper mechanism that builds strength.

DoverOs: We are going to have a terminology problem for a moment, but bear with me.

Powerful head tones feel like mix at the level of the larynx, but its the vowel that makes it into a head voice tone. Put another way, if you maintain a mix vowel in the upward scale, you will get a mix tone. If you sing a vowel that (for the particular note) has head voice resonance alignments with the harmonics of your note, (principally an F2 alignment with either the 3rd or the 4th harmonic) then you will get a stunningly ringy head note.

It may be that you have not yet made this discovery, so here is a simple exercise you can do to, that helps some singers first experience powerful head voice resonance:

Start a medium volume A3, with a very small, rounded OH opening at the lips, but with a medium-jaw drop. Sing the upward chromatic scale until you feel a strong resonance peak appear. Then, from there, let the jaw drop and the lips relax note-by-note as you continue ascending. With a little experimentation, you will be able to learn just how much change to make with each note to keep the resonance sweet.

The physics of this is formant tuning of F2 to harmonic 3. When you get to Bb4 or so, you will be singing a vowel which sounds quite like a dark Ah, but will have stunning quality, and should feel pretty cool, too.

I hope this is helpful.