Bel Canto Masterclass

Rate this topic

Hey all, recently I noticed that when training unfamiliar areas of your voice it is very useful to focus on the breath - this video sort of helps me and is the 'sound' that I'm going for. The ability to blend effortlessly and easily, its funny because some of the technique we are learning did originate from long ago. I have included the translation and my opinion below.

Translation:

"Therefore, we put it that we do a breath. A breath, without the diaphragm - which means we do it ON the breath. (Sings an example)

It isn't necessary, the diaphragm, because we say that this singing is supported uniquely on the breathing , on the breath. But when (Sings the second example)...it is necessary to engage the diaphragm."

en

Essentially he is reinforcing that in the higher areas less is more and to try to exhale without "using" the diaphragm and in the lower/louder powerful notes that's when you "engage" the diaphragm. Its a very simple way of looking at it but it has helped me manage the high notes and low notes better. I was wondering what you guys think... Ps the quoted words are there because we always use our diaphragm but at different "intensities" which is very important to us the singer who is trying to produce a variety of extreme sounds. If we could match the perfect intensity of breath for each pitch throughout the voice... wouldn't things be a whole lot easier lol

Food for thought.

- JayMC

I think, what people tend to naturally do while trying to find that light classical mix sound, is they raise their larynx. Beniamino Gigli is showing us how to approach a light mix with a lowered larynx, which should be the proper approach.

The larynx always has to maintain a lowered area to keep the vocal tract free, and the air has to be directed at the soft palate and back of the hard palate. If the vocal tract becomes smaller, or air is directed to the front of the gums, then the classical sound doesn't happen. So because of that, people have natural tendencies to confuse diaphragm strength and larynx position.