One Last Cry, Brian McKnight am I on the right track?

Rate this topic

Nicogratouille

Hi!

I haven't been able to sing for almost 2 weeks now and just got a little bit of my voice back today. This is my first attempt, with all the good (hopefully :rolleyes:) and the bad stuff! I won't leave this online for long as it is a little embarrassing... ;)

https://www.box.com/s/chua0xs13miihmnaz4pn Deleted!

Second attempt: https://www.box.com/s/zmqg9ftwpsycbuqeyv7m

Before I begin actually working on it I would like to know if I'm on the right track here?

Can I sing like this in a live situation? Will the mic pick me up ok?

Any ideas/tips on how to practice this song?

I really dig that lighter sound color he gets!

Cheers,

Nick

:) If I sounded that good I would stop hanging around here. :P Just kidding I'd stay here anyway.

I like the sound and you seem to have a handle on it. This just adds to times that I have to say If you think that sounds bad I wish I could sound as bad as you.

No, I don't think it sounds bad. I'm just very self-critical, always been... When I listen to myself I tend to hear all the mistakes and imperfections... I don't have this problem when I listen to other people though :)

Thank you so much for your feedback :). I'll definitely be working on this song tomorrow!

Nick

I listened to your track and the original. Good job man. I would suggest that you try to sing the song with a bit more "cry" in your sound, like you're in pain. The original singer does that, although not on the highest phrases (there he's in pure headvoice).

Thanks Jonpall :), did you listen to my first or my second attempt?

I was referring to your first clip. I just listened to your second one and that one is more along the lines that I was talking about. The latter clip was better, overall, IMO. Cheers!

I was referring to your first clip. I just listened to your second one and that one is more along the lines that I was talking about. The latter clip was better, overall, IMO. Cheers!

That's what I thought! ;) The last clip is definitely better, I think it's coming along!

nicely done. Keep some practice to smooth it. I liked it.

Thanks I will :)

Hi everyone,

Just played around with the second verse today. Here it is: https://www.box.com/s/hrqhv4t0uzaem3tpt3aq

I still have a little bit of trouble controlling my voice (the opening run is not very smooth haha ;)). The more I'm singing this song the more I realize how challenging it is! All the colors and dynamics you have to use... It really requires a good command of one's voice! I'm definitely learning something here :)

Also, I'd like to point the importance of recording yourself when you practice. When I listen back to what i recorded I often find that what feels like a very small sound in my head is actually not that small! Always had a tendency to push a little (just to be on the safe side...) but now I'm learning to let go and it feels so much better :)

Nick