Diaphragm Vs Throat (The Clash)

Rate this topic

Hey all, hope you are having a wonderful day! Unfortunately I have been struggling with the #1 voice-killer... BAD tension. To put it simply... how can one divert tension from the "throat" to the diaphragm? I fear I will never understand the important of breath support until my throat muscles stop interfering. This "bad" tension seems especially prevalent in the middle area of the voice.

What has helped you divert unwanted tension from the throat (chokey feeling) to the correct support muscles of the diaphragm? It does not have to be an exercise specifically, I will take any advice I can get lol! I'm sure this will help many beginners on the forum as well :)

Thanks for all your help!

- JayMC

For me it was understanding/experiencing that support is neither clenching the abs nor making your belly huge, but simply extending the expansion of your core muscles consciously during the exhalation. And getting away from that feeling of "putting on the lid" on the air with the throat, which when released gives a characteristic "khh"-like sound.

For me the correct placement of the voice, or ee focus, or twang or w/e you can call it :P was extremely helpful because together with support I can manage a much more "open throat".

Remember, when singing correctly you get surprised how easy it is. This does not mean its easy to do it correctly though :P

My 2 noob cents, cheers!

resonance helped me to release a lot of tension. Sirens or scales on mmm, feeling the resonance move from your lips to higher up and just behind your nose, not in your nose. You can then exchange the mmm sound for vowels, trying to keep the same resonant feeling for all vowels. I find this easiest with ee (as in feet). A singers ideal is to get every single vowel on every single pitch as resonant a possible. This is a great exercise to begin that journey.

The chokey feeling that you are getting in your middle range might possibly be bringing your chest voice too high, although it's difficult to say without hearing you

Hey guys, thanks for the advice especially the "simply extending the expansion of your core muscles consciously during the exhalation." That's a great approach and is better than how I thought of it :lol: I believe the lack of development in my upper register is partial cause of the strain, trying to use the core muscles to hold back the air INSTEAD of the throat is where I'm struggling.

& thanks Gina will definitely try out those resonant mmms and eees next session :)

- Jay

Do your scales or songs lying down with a book on your stomach and concentrate on holding the book up. When you breathe in you should see the book rise and your lower back will dig in the floor, as you sing the scale or phrase the book should rise a little and your back should keep digginginto the ground. This will take your concentration off your throat.

jay, here's a real neat way to help you to know that you are diverting tension away from the throat. it's initially very physical, but will get easier in time.

expand the lower core all around..once you get it expanded, hold it out, now with it held out, speak...just speak words..as many and long as you can while keeping the lower core expanded.

listen that you're not getting tight..speak nice and normal..recite a poem...lyrics, whatever..but speak..don't sing.

you will be getting a very good idea of the tension diverted to below, which is what you want. you will feel the physical difficulty (at first) but if you are speaking nice and clear and can speak a good 10 seconds or more, you'll feel what i'm trying to get you to feel.

try this at different expansion levels...a light expansion, a real strong expansion, and sense...sense how you are so loose and free up top, but working it below.

let me know.