Vocal Range Test--Help please!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi! I'm new here, and still not 100% sure whether I'd fall under the category of soprano or alto, or in classical terms, soprano, mezzo, or contralto. Please listen to at least one of the videos listed below, give me your opinion, and tell me why you think I fall under that vocal type. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6VM5MFPK7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0jrgUzNa0U

I know I'm not a great singer; I don't take lessons nor have I ever sung alone in public. But I try. I'd greatly appreciate your comments/opinions and any constructive criticism you're willing to offer =)

Well, a few think I don't know what I am talking about, so I have nothing to lose by hazarding a guess.

First off, it will be a bit foolish to type your voice until you've had a bit of training. People here want to keep the fach descriptions to just opera and maybe, like yours, theater singing. And with opera and theater singing, there is no learning on your own. For that, you will be in some mentoring or training program.

For pop and rock musc, labels aren't so important, at least that's what a lot of baritones say. Just about every who has said that labels are not important are usually baritones.

You have some neat tones in your low end and a flute-y sound in your high end, though that could be the mic you were singing into. But I would say, at least soprano. Mezzo, I don't know, it really depends on the music and the treatment. See, a lot of this fach thing is to help define a role in an opera and how to cast it. There are and have been baritones that can sing tenor roles and do so. Though I've yet to hear of a leggiero tenore manage to sing basso profundo.

Mezzo-soprano is to me more of a role requirement. And each woman, I think, can provide differing amounts of mezzo texture.

And that's my redneck, uneducated "you don't know what you are talking about" opinion.

For pop and rock musc, labels aren't so important, at least that's what a lot of baritones say. Just about every who has said that labels are not important are usually baritones.

nice one :lol:

Knowing you are a soprano or alto won't make you sing better... Just sing! And if you want to get better, get some singing lessons and practice!

Nick

Hi Singing.

Ok, here we go. First things first, as ronws said, forget the classifications for now. Even if what you want is to go into classical singing, its not done based on range.

It seems to me, that the recording was done at a very low volume, isnt it so? Anyways, what you are doing sounds very small, kinda restrained, a little shy. Its perfectly normal, your voice sounds pleasant, but its still a long road of work until its on a nice level, as was adviced, seek a teacher and work it out :). Should render great results. On your own, from what you have now, it will be hard because of the nature of a few ajustments that you will have to do, not a big deal, but must be done right.

GL!

I have to agree with the lessons/coaching thing. Actually not just because of the type or style of music you are choosing but just in general. I know from experience that there are many things people can train themselves to do. I have done so with a couple of things in the past. But there have been some things that I thought I was doing great at and even got compliments for. Then I decided to get some instruction just to move ahead a little and wow; suddenly there were things opened to me that I didn't know. Actually things that I didn't even know that I didn't know!! (Does that make sense?) These little things made the difference. They made things I did well before easier and more effective.

Vocal training can be the same. It's the little things that create the big things. But you have to know and be guided in those little details. If you don't know them you don't even know that you don't know..Confusing I know :) But it's like loosing your hearing a little. How would you know? If you can hear everything...or think you can...how would you know you are not hearing the bird chirping outside? Unless someone showed you ;)

That's what they call an "Ah Ha " moment.

EDIT:

Sorry to the original poster, I forgot to comment on your singing :)

I think that what has been already mentioned above stands as far as lessons go. What category you fit into doesn't matter at this point because I think you have a lot of work yet to be done to tighten up your voice.

Your voice is nice and pitch isn't bad so you have a good start. However it does sound very untrained. That is to say that the breathing isn't correct nor is a lot of the note placement, control or connection. In a couple of those songs in the medley, you seemed to sing in different voices in the same song. If the song went higher or lower your voice wasn't one voice but rather different for each part as if different people were singing. That connection needs to be learned. Some areas were breathy and others just lacked support. The lower end really lost support. But these are all things a teacher can easily remedy. Your voice can be very nice if you learn how to work it. :)